Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Service Issues: "4 C service" message (error) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170209)

David Boxley Jan 7th, 2013 16:57

"4 C service" message (error)

Hi All,

I have posted this before but didn't get the usual magic response so I'm trying again.

XC 70 with 4C gives "4 C service" occasionally - local dealer suggested "loose wire" perhaps but no problem noted during service or code download.

I have found that I can induce the message to appear by going onto full RH lock at really slow parking speeds with the suspension not actually doing anything.

What I'm hoping to get info on is:

1) advice/photo/info etc as to what this might be and where the actual sensor is located.

2) A suggestion for a good Volvo dealer (main or indy but with a real knowledge of 4C) within sensible travelling distance of Wolverhampton (Dean Smith and Volvo Codsall can't help)

Many thanks.

David

outnumbered Jan 7th, 2013 17:16

have your local dealer come up with a code to help you .:thumbs_up:
mike

sneakypenguin Jan 7th, 2013 18:23

Having your codes read would be a real help. I should get my dice unit sometime this week hopefully and when I do I'd be more than to come over and read your codes, at least that way you know to a certain degree of certainty what is amiss. Has it triggered the EML or is it just the message?

mick

TiredGeek Jan 7th, 2013 20:29

I'll put a tenner on it being a broken wire to an accelerometer....
When you turn the wheels the cable moves and breaks the connection momentarily, enough for the computer to flag the fault up.

Codes will tell you exactly what component has gone faulty ;)

An accelerometer is gonna set you back about £250 fitted :censored:

David Boxley Jan 7th, 2013 21:30

Thanks - keep the ideas coming!

Hi all,

Many thanks for the thoughts (and particularly the offer to read the codes). From memory, the Volvo dealer indicated that the "message" had flashed up repeatedly but the download did not show an actual "continual" fault; their explanation being that it would be indicated constantly. I drove from Cumbria to Wolverhampton a few days ago (130 miles approx) with no message being generated (must have been no tight right turns !). This seems to indicate that the "broken wire" is probably a good bet as I can induce the message to appear by turning full lock at walking pace. It's just a damn annoyance(and it may prove prejudicial when it's time to sell or PX the car). Still hoping for an economical solution.

Once again, your comments are very much appreciated.

outnumbered Jan 7th, 2013 22:31

it will have a stored code but it will be flagged as yellow and not red .:thumbs_up:
mike

sneakypenguin Jan 7th, 2013 23:33

you could always try a breakers yard or see if someone on here has one knocking around. As outnumbered said above, it will have triggered a code but because it isn't a constant fault the red warning light isn't on. Mines got a code stored but because it isn't serious enough it doesn't light the eml.

hth

mick

sneakypenguin Jan 8th, 2013 23:09

Got my dice today so if you'd like your codes read, drop me a pm and we can sort something out for the weekend.

Mick

David Boxley Jan 9th, 2013 11:46

To "Sneaky"

Just typed a reply for a PM to you but then received a message that I can only send to administrators due to less than 30 posts. I have therefore posted my reply below. (my email is boxley.d@gmail.com).

.................................................. ..............................

That's a really great offer and much appreciated. As you may have picked up from my additional post, the codes were read by Volvo Codsall and in their view, it was "intermittent - nothing to be concerned about, otherwise the fault would register constantly (and not show the occasional (and annoying!) orange triangle - it would be a red triangle.

From another helpful reply, the comment was "possible loose connection to the accelerometer". This seemed to indicate that the only fix was to replace the accelerometer.

Again, I appreciate your response and will be pleased to hear from you what you think a possible course of action could be.

kind regards
David

sneakypenguin Jan 9th, 2013 17:57

hmmm, may still be worth plugging it in and seeing if there is anything there, if not then can setup vida to log live data, so if we went around as many right hand turns as possible it might point to something more definate.

mick