Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Brakes: Brake Caliper Mount thread sheared - Urgent (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308566)

DerekA Aug 3rd, 2020 19:16

Brake Caliper Mount thread sheared - Urgent

Hi all,

Front Left/Passenger/Onside Brake Caliper Mount

The mount that the actual brake caliper (with the pads seated in) sits onto has two threaded holes for the hex headed pins to screw into. The thread within the lower hole of the mount has sheared off so the pin cannot tighten, so the caliper is not solidly fitted to the mounting.

Can someone point me to a reputable source of Volvo XC90 (2009) Series 1 parts. It is just the mounting, not the actual caliper.

I could urgently do with one - was meant to be on the eurotunnel tomorrow morning with the family but that isn't going to happen. But if I can find one tomorrow we could travel one day late. I'm located on the south East near Junction 10 of the M25.

Help please!!

S60D5-185 Aug 3rd, 2020 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekA (Post 2652913)
Hi all,

Front Left/Passenger/Onside Brake Caliper Mount

The mount that the actual brake caliper (with the pads seated in) sits onto has two threaded holes for the hex headed pins to screw into. The thread within the lower hole of the mount has sheared off so the pin cannot tighten, so the caliper is not solidly fitted to the mounting.

Can someone point me to a reputable source of Volvo XC90 (2009) Series 1 parts. It is just the mounting, not the actual caliper.

I could urgently do with one - was meant to be on the eurotunnel tomorrow morning with the family but that isn't going to happen. But if I can find one tomorrow we could travel one day late. I'm located on the south East near Junction 10 of the M25.

Help please!!

That is simply the Caliper caliper bracket which in itself is just held in place with two bolts.

Huddersfield Volvo breakers would almost certainly have a used one BUT IF IT WERE ME NOT YOU and you were stuck on a tight schedule I would buy a top quality bolt +nyloc nut of exactly the same diameter but 1/2 to 3/4 0f an inch longer and drill through the ruined threads on the caliper hanger bracket and secure the caliper that way until you were home and could obtain a used undamaged bracket.

That is what I WOULD DO but the choice is yours and I take no responsibility for anything that you do as a result of this thread.

Obviously make sure that the longer bolt does not interfere with anything where it protrudes through.

Your choice, just a suggestion to get you on your holiday.:teeth_smile:

DerekA Aug 3rd, 2020 20:24

I was hoping someone may know of somewhere driveable to get a replacement basket (now I know what it's called!). But looking at your idea, how would one get a nyloc nut on the inside of the caliper basket once the caliper is seated?

V8XCV Aug 3rd, 2020 20:46

Is there enough material to fit a helicoil? I don't know what thread it is, but it might do for a temporary repair.

V8XCV Aug 3rd, 2020 20:47

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-na...brand=helicoil

S60D5-185 Aug 3rd, 2020 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekA (Post 2652937)
I was hoping someone may know of somewhere driveable to get a replacement basket (now I know what it's called!). But looking at your idea, how would one get a nyloc nut on the inside of the caliper basket once the caliper is seated?

It's a caliper BRACKET or HANGER not a BASKET.

If you start asking for a Caliper Basket you will be met with stunned silence.

Re the bolt idea, forget it, it won't work at all looking at it again.

V8XCV Aug 3rd, 2020 20:55

http://www.chobhamcarspares.co.uk/

This doesn't look too far from you.

Sometimes called a 'carrier' also.

I presume you have tried phoning Volvo Leatherhead?

DerekA Aug 3rd, 2020 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2652948)
It's a caliper BRACKET or HANGER not a BASKET.

If you start asking for a Caliper Basket you will be met with stunned silence.

Re the bolt idea, forget it, it won't work at all looking at it again.

Thankyou for correcting. I picked up BASKET from somewhere else - not sure where. The bolt idea did have me scratching my head.

DerekA Aug 3rd, 2020 22:08

@V8XCV yep - I found chobhamspares googling around after I originally posted and have sent them an email. This all happened after 6pm so nowhere was open. I'll chase them first thing and will also put a call into Volvo Leatherhead (££££ no doubt).

Helicoil looks intriguing although must be pricier than a 2nd hand part. Will research anyway as need to line up a backup plan if Chobhamspares & Volvo come up dry. Many thanks for the ideas.

S60D5-185 Aug 4th, 2020 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekA (Post 2652966)
@V8XCV yep - I found chobhamspares googling around after I originally posted and have sent them an email. This all happened after 6pm so nowhere was open. I'll chase them first thing and will also put a call into Volvo Leatherhead (££££ no doubt).

Helicoil looks intriguing although must be pricier than a 2nd hand part. Will research anyway as need to line up a backup plan if Chobhamspares & Volvo come up dry. Many thanks for the ideas.

I would actually check with your nearest Volvo dealers because from memory, if you phone early in the morning, the item , if not in stock can often be at the branch the same day but in any case nearly always the morning after.

Helicoiling is fast and usually not exorbitant but a new part from the dealer may well be your best bet if speed is important.

Good luck and hope you get sorted quickly. 👍