Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Satnav traffic info (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314392)

Alwyn Feb 18th, 2021 14:19

Satnav traffic info

I have a 2011 XC70. I don't use its satnav because it is out of date and new map DVDs cost over £60. I have a very satisfactory Garmin connected to the 12V socket that suits me. When I power up it says that I have the wrong connection for traffic info. The Volvo satnav has a traffic info connection.

Do I need a different type of connector or is there a way to piggy back the in-car traffic info system?

A slight irritation is that we occasionally knock the button that pushes up the in-car satnav. I would ideally like to be able to disconnect it.

andrewpain Feb 18th, 2021 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwyn (Post 2711014)
I have a 2011 XC70. I don't use its satnav because it is out of date and new map DVDs cost over £60. I have a very satisfactory Garmin connected to the 12V socket that suits me. When I power up it says that I have the wrong connection for traffic info. The Volvo satnav has a traffic info connection.

Do I need a different type of connector or is there a way to piggy back the in-car traffic info system?

A slight irritation is that we occasionally knock the button that pushes up the in-car satnav. I would ideally like to be able to disconnect it.

I don't have a separate nav system, but I doubt it's the power connection the system's referring to - I'd bet it's a setting on the Garmin. How it get's it's power is irrelevant to getting up to date traffic updates. That's normally a setting allowing it to connect to RDS, surely?
I also wouldn't pay for new discs, and on my my older Mercs and Seat I bought a "back-up" dvd from an ebay seller that was current. He had to call them "back-up" to get around copyright and piracy issues. Worth a googling, I think.
And if you have a USB socket you can always download the latest maps from Volvo onto your PC and then update the car from that. It just takes about 2 hours....

Alwyn Feb 18th, 2021 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewpain (Post 2711060)
I don't have a separate nav system, but I doubt it's the power connection the system's referring to - I'd bet it's a setting on the Garmin. How it get's it's power is irrelevant to getting up to date traffic updates. That's normally a setting allowing it to connect to RDS, surely?
I also wouldn't pay for new discs, and on my my older Mercs and Seat I bought a "back-up" dvd from an ebay seller that was current. He had to call them "back-up" to get around copyright and piracy issues. Worth a googling, I think.
And if you have a USB socket you can always download the latest maps from Volvo onto your PC and then update the car from that. It just takes about 2 hours....

I don't think that you can update the satnav fitted in my car online.

andrewpain Feb 24th, 2021 15:58

try googling "updated sat nav dvd", or just search same on ebay.
I did this twice with my old E class, and paid about £20 rather than the official merc ones at £120+.
They worked fine for me.
My XC60 would take an update vis the USB connection, but I have to download from Volvo onto laptop, copy to USB, then upload from USB into car, and it's a 2-hour job.
If there's an updated disc available from Volvo for your XC70, then there'll be one on ebay, I bet.
If Volvo can't offer one, then there isn't one...