Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   DIY towbar V60 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274432)

Marley Oct 30th, 2017 11:50

DIY towbar V60

i'm considering fitting a towbar myself,is it difficult,and does the car need re-coding,is this necessary.

Clan Oct 30th, 2017 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marley (Post 2332674)
i'm considering fitting a towbar myself,is it difficult,and does the car need re-coding,is this necessary.

fitting the parts is straightforward although you may have trouble getting the orange wire into the fuse box F4 position ! it is all documented on the volvo accessory web site . yes you will need the Trailer Module loaded with the software at the dealer .

Mrs Wez Mar 10th, 2018 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marley (Post 2332674)

Did you do it yourself, if so how did you get 9n??

sandersc Nov 27th, 2018 11:45

Orange wire in fuse box

Hi

I am fitting a towbar on my Volvo and are really struggling withe getting the orange wire into the fusebox. Any suggestions?

Thank you Sanders

Clan Nov 27th, 2018 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandersc (Post 2470610)
Hi

I am fitting a towbar on my Volvo and are really struggling withe getting the orange wire into the fusebox. Any suggestions?

Thank you Sanders

not easy even for the experienced ! you pull the red tag out , then pull the top and bottom part of the fusebox apart as far as the catch allows then click in the orange tag .. the rest is up to you ...:angel_smile:

mikeouk Dec 12th, 2018 11:57

cant give any advice on fitting a tow bar, i bought a used v60 towbar and wiring off ebay and got a local fitter to fit it on the car.
However, one slight problem encountered was that the tow bar came off a businness edition and my car is an R design. The R design has two for lights, business edition has one, this caused a problem when wiring the caravan for light, the guy sorted it with some extra wiring.

HDAV Jan 6th, 2019 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeouk (Post 2475058)
cant give any advice on fitting a tow bar, i bought a used v60 towbar and wiring off ebay and got a local fitter to fit it on the car.
However, one slight problem encountered was that the tow bar came off a businness edition and my car is an R design. The R design has two for lights, business edition has one, this caused a problem when wiring the caravan for light, the guy sorted it with some extra wiring.

Did he enable the cars towing module software?

1monkey600 Jan 7th, 2019 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandersc (Post 2470610)
Hi

Thank you Sanders

Not the 'correct' method, where you somehow have to 'split/slide' the fusebox, but a very easy and quick alternative method that I use nowadays:

If you look into the socket where the orange wire is meant to go there is a small 'ledge'. You just need to make something a few inches long, flat, about the width of the socket and as thick, or just over the thickness of the ledge, to compress the 'tag' on the end connector.
You could probably, just as easily, file down a lollipop stick or plastic 'sprig' to the right size but I tend to use a 3" nail or piece of fencing wire that I hammer flat (to same thickness as ledge) at one end, file the end to square and simply hold this in the top part of the socket, sitting it on the ledge, while simultaneously pushing the connector, alongside it, and fully home into the bottom of the socket.
If you are using the nail or wire ensure the battery is dis connected, just in case.

Hoodyedd Mar 30th, 2019 23:27

Hi all

So i am planning to install a towbar on my 2013 V60.Towbar otself is a straightforward job but the wiring is a different story... on ebay you can find two types, woth or without a bypass relay.can anyone advise on wiring? I have fitted a towbar previously on my c30 , wiring with bypass relay using scothlock connectors hooking up to tail light/stop light/indicator wires.there was a red lead that had to be run to the fuse box under the glove box.how does it look like on a v60? Would anyone be so kind to upload a few pictures of how the whole thing os wired? Many thanks

SwissXC90 Mar 31st, 2019 08:11

Read VIDA first to understand the original Volvo trailer module does on your car. On many Volvos the trailer module and wiring loom from Volvo is very reasonable priced. So much so that if far beats making your own loom.