Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   overdrive for 145 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299150)

morwenna240 Oct 3rd, 2019 19:48

overdrive for 145

Hallo people. I've just bought a 145. It needs " a bit of work", having sat about for some yrs. According to a Jack Cruer, the fitting of a Laycock overdrive makes things calmer on the m-way, an improves mpg. So, has anyone here present done this? What's involved? An, where to get one? Cruer talked of "donor cars", but there can't be to many of them, these days. My car is 1970 145 de luxe.
I'm new to 140 series, but have had 240's for yonks. Any comments on other useful mods gratefully recieved. Cheers.

john h Oct 3rd, 2019 21:14

Hi,

Yes putting overdrive on a 140 is a good way to improve cruising refinement and, to some extent, mpg.

You need to look out for an M41 transmission, that is the 4 speed plus overdrive for the 140. The same gearbox was also used on Amazons with overdrive. They do come up for sale, e.g. on ebay, but they're not cheap, being both rare and desirable. Expect to pay £500 - £1500.

You also need a shorter propshaft. It's not too expensive to get yours shortened if you cant find one.

The M41 uses a different gearbox mounting cross-member. If you can't find one, your original can be modified to fit with a little fabrication and welding.

The wiring is straightforward. The M41 will come with an inhibitor switch so the overdrive only works in 4th gear. You need a simple on-off switch and relay to operate it, and a warning light

Good luck, its a very worthwhile upgrade.

What other upgrades are you interested in?

Triple-S Oct 3rd, 2019 21:22

Over the weekend I'll have a look at a couple of o/d gearboxes I have in my store. I used to dismantle Amazons, 140s and 164s many years ago and KNOW they are still in there! I know they rotate and are not wet, just a bit dusty.
I know John and he knows more about those gearboxes than me, so as seeing you are a new member and probably can't do PMs, let me have your email address and I can talk more that way: I have a photo or two I think, as well.

Paul

omc 47 Oct 3rd, 2019 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2559469)
Over the weekend I'll have a look at a couple of o/d gearboxes I have in my store. I used to dismantle Amazons, 140s and 164s many years ago and KNOW they are still in there! I know they rotate and are not wet, just a bit dusty.
I know John and he knows more about those gearboxes than me, so as seeing you are a new member and probably can't do PMs, let me have your email address and I can talk more that way: I have a photo or two I think, as well.

Paul

Hi Pt aul,
excuse my intrusion but if you are getting down and dirty in your store would you have a spare propshaft for an Amazon overdrive box? l bought the box from a Forum member last year and alas have yet to fit it....and no l don't want to shorten the one on the car really just in case l have to change it back etc.

kind regards Andy

Triple-S Oct 3rd, 2019 22:05

omc 47:it might take a bit longer as the shed is deep, dark and lots of cobwebs! I THINK there could be two output flanges available at the time so if you can supply diameter of yours in parallel to me grovelling under my 122S with OD I will measure that before I go and brave those webs!
I also THINK there are more than one central bearing, dependant on age of car, so that MAY define propshaft needed - I've forgotten these details over the years - sorry!

P

morwenna240 Oct 4th, 2019 01:38

Hi Thanks for that. Other mods, making engine breath an exhale easier? Kan N filter, thru exhaust, tho not loud?

morwenna240 Oct 4th, 2019 01:40

Hi Triple S, that'd be great, i eagerly await search results! Y'health.

eternal optimist Oct 4th, 2019 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2559448)
Hallo people. I've just bought a 145. It needs " a bit of work", having sat about for some yrs. According to a Jack Cruer, the fitting of a Laycock overdrive makes things calmer on the m-way, an improves mpg. So, has anyone here present done this? What's involved? An, where to get one? Cruer talked of "donor cars", but there can't be to many of them, these days. My car is 1970 145 de luxe.
I'm new to 140 series, but have had 240's for yonks. Any comments on other useful mods gratefully recieved. Cheers.

I had a 1968 145S I used instead of a company car between 1998 and 2001. I was doing about 25k/year in it. I fitted a saloon diff, Overdrive box and a big valve head and cam. The head had the fuel injection ports blanked and I can’t recall the cam, I think it might have been a K series. Otherwise, it was stock. That’s another car I should never have sold.

morwenna240 Oct 4th, 2019 09:42

forgot email. marc.wigg@gmail.com

morwenna240 Oct 4th, 2019 20:30

. . . an what is a PM, exactly?