Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   T5 XC60 2018 Fuel filler cap not locking (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292558)

steladamo Mar 8th, 2019 12:10

T5 XC60 2018 Fuel filler cap not locking

Well I have been doing some research trying to understand why my car specifically does not have a lock mechanism on the fuel filler door.

All XC90's lock
All XC40's lock
All XC60's with the T8 engine lock
Some XC60's with diesel engine lock
Another owner with a T6 (yes we have them in Greece) reported that it does not locks

Also there is no distinction between R Design or Inscription and also it is irrelevant if you have factory alarm or not, keyless entry or not. Just randomly some cars lock and some not. Most probably the petrol engine ones do not lock

It will be appreciated if especially T5 owners check if your fuel door locks. Many will be surprised thinking that it does only to find that it is actually unlocked

bobby2000 Mar 8th, 2019 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by steladamo (Post 2502188)
Well I have been doing some research trying to understand why my car specifically does not have a lock mechanism on the fuel filler door.

All XC90's lock
All XC40's lock
Another owner with a T6 (yes we have them in Greece) reported that it does not locks

Also there is no distinction between R Design or Inscription and also it is irrelevant if you have factory alarm or not, keyless entry or not. Just randomly some cars lock and some not. Most probably the petrol engine ones do not lock

It will be appreciated if especially T5 owners check if your fuel door locks. Many will be surprised thinking that it does only to find that it is actually unlocked

Mine certainly locks.

Clan Mar 8th, 2019 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by steladamo (Post 2502188)

All XC90's lock
All XC40's lock

are you aware the flap locks about 15 minutes after locking the car? Try it in the morning before you unlock the car.....

James77 Mar 8th, 2019 15:25

Locks as soon as I lock the car.

St Evelyn Mar 8th, 2019 21:17

I had this issue with my V90 - the dealer advised that there's a delay of around 15mins to allow you time to fill up at the pump once you've gotten out and locked the car.
Upon testing, I went back to the car 8hrs after parking and locking and found it to be unlocked, so in it went for investigation. Turned out the locking mechanism was faulty from factory and a new part was ordered and fitted. Since then, no issues - I lock the doors as soon as I pull up at the petrol station and the flap stays unlocked, yet it then locks a few mins later. :)

I'd suggest getting it reported as a fault if it's not locking a little while after the car is locked.

Not sure about Greece, but it's an MOT fail to not have some form of locking mechanism on the fuel filler pipe (either flap or cap), so can't see Volvo doing different things in different markets.

steladamo Mar 12th, 2019 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by St Evelyn (Post 2502384)
I had this issue with my V90 - the dealer advised that there's a delay of around 15mins to allow you time to fill up at the pump once you've gotten out and locked the car.
Upon testing, I went back to the car 8hrs after parking and locking and found it to be unlocked, so in it went for investigation. Turned out the locking mechanism was faulty from factory and a new part was ordered and fitted. Since then, no issues - I lock the doors as soon as I pull up at the petrol station and the flap stays unlocked, yet it then locks a few mins later. :)

I'd suggest getting it reported as a fault if it's not locking a little while after the car is locked.

Not sure about Greece, but it's an MOT fail to not have some form of locking mechanism on the fuel filler pipe (either flap or cap), so can't see Volvo doing different things in different markets.

Thank you. This is exactly my point. Unfortunately the dealers here are ignorant. His response was that if I do not have a button to unlock the fuel filler cap, then certainly I do not have a locking mechanism in this, which is not true since many cars do not have separate locking button for the fuel cap but still lock it.

I will try to report it to Volvo Greece but they are more of a joke than the dealers.

encroute Mar 18th, 2019 14:50

MY19 T5 XC60
After 2 hours away from the car, I got my wife to try the fuel cap (I was 20+m away with the key) and it was definitely unlocked. :shocked:

Will now raise with the dealership!

Wizzpop Mar 18th, 2019 18:58

Mine locks as long as I am not near the car with the key

bobby2000 Mar 18th, 2019 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby2000 (Post 2502245)
Mine certainly locks.

I tried mine this evening, it was locked from the last time car was used, I unlocked car and fuel flap opened, locked car again and fuel flap locked about 5 sec later.
So all appears normal, or what's normal.

Haldex Mar 19th, 2019 09:56

Mine locks like Clan suggested - a few (5 or more.. not sure..) minutes after the car is locked..

Could this be linked to alarm option? Mine has a factory alarm with interior motion sensor- maybe cars optioned without an alarm don't lock the fuel flap?..