Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Ride height too low, C30 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303922)

PRainbow Feb 24th, 2020 22:29

Ride height too low, C30

My C30 sits very low, particularly at the front. I get the feeling that it has either been lowered, or with 110k they are getting tired.

With the recent terrible weather we have been having, I actually want a higher ride height and a softer ride than the wide 18” wheels currently give. I see there are aftermarket front springs ranging from 343mm in length to 372. If I got the taller springs and put 205/65/16 winter tyres & wheels on, would that fit and raise the front up?

What should the floor or centre of the wheel to the arch measurement be?

Also, where does the air intake start? Worried about the floods recently, don’t want to hydraulic the engine.

lockstock Feb 24th, 2020 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRainbow (Post 2603628)
My C30 sits very low, particularly at the front. I get the feeling that it has either been lowered, or with 110k they are getting tired.

With the recent terrible weather we have been having, I actually want a higher ride height and a softer ride than the wide 18” wheels currently give. I see there are aftermarket front springs ranging from 343mm in length to 372. If I got the taller springs and put 205/65/16 winter tyres & wheels on, would that fit and raise the front up?

Also, where does the air intake start? Worried about the floods recently, don’t want to hydraulic the engine.

air intake starts roughly level with the leading edge of the bonnet. My c30 had the RDesign suspension as standard (lowest option) and Ive since lowered it on eibach pro kit. Wheel arch gap at from from top edge of tyre is about 3-4cm. was about 4-5cm on RDesign suspension. Rear was much higher as standard with an arch gap similar to size of my fist.

In order to lower, you need to get correct springs based on your model, as the spring rate will be matched to your engine (weight) at the front axle. If your suspension is sagging, as long as you dont have a snapped spring its more likely the shock absorber which is knackered not the spring. The bilstein b4 shocks are a direct swap, and are a cheaper alternative to OEM volvo and are great quality/ride comfort.

yes those tyres will be more comfortable but make sure the rolling radius matches your standard wheel tyre size. There are online calculators to match tyre size with smaller diameter wheels, otherwise your Speedo, gearing and possibly ABS could be out of wack

PRainbow Feb 24th, 2020 23:02

Thanks. Oddly, I want to raise the ride height not lower it! With the recent floods I wonder if the air intake is just too low to safely tackle anything other than a puddle.

Maybe I would be better getting a car more suitable for my needs. Do Volvo do a 4x4 V40 or 50?

mjs57 Feb 24th, 2020 23:25

Yes, there was an AWD T5 V50 - no chance of finding one though, v rare.

lockstock Feb 24th, 2020 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRainbow (Post 2603634)
Thanks. Oddly, I want to raise the ride height not lower it! With the recent floods I wonder if the air intake is just too low to safely tackle anything other than a puddle.

Maybe I would be better getting a car more suitable for my needs. Do Volvo do a 4x4 V40 or 50?

the exhaust us low whatever you do, so even if air intake is above it will stuff the back pressure. and you will have very wet feet before the engine floods too!! there are xc series which are the range rover type models. I beleive there are 'cross country' variants of the estate cars which are estate/4x4 cross over vehicles. Like the Audi 'all road' models. still not suitable for floods. You need a landrover defender.

If you look for standard NON rdesign shocks and springs for your variant c30, this will give you the highest 'factory' ride height for the C30. why you want to expect a front wheel drive coupe to tackle floods is quite amusing though, it's not going to go well haha

PRainbow Feb 25th, 2020 09:17

My reasoning is that I am in the Scouting world as a kayak instructor and last week was on the Brecon Beacons in mid Wales during the worst storm and floods for Many years, which is saying something in Wales. We abandoned the course due to the massive storm as you would expect, but I was very worried about the trip back to Tunbridge Wells, which was one of the worst trips I have had for a long time with floods, rain, trees, floods, traffic, floods, bad drivers, etc.

I have owned 4x4’s for a number of years but 6 months ago had a mid life crises and went all sporty with the C30. Its a terrific car, but not really suitable for my somewhat active lifestyle I fear.

However, I see the V40 Cross Country would be ideal it would seam, so I need to track a suitable one down now.

Thanks for the replies and advice though, much appreciated.

Clan Feb 25th, 2020 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRainbow (Post 2603628)

I think that "lowness" has a lot to do with the sports sill trims protruding downwards making the car lower than it actually is .

skippyfox Feb 25th, 2020 11:05

Personally I'd go for a XC70, a better load lugger. Also if I'm not mistaken the V40 crosscountry is not AWD. It sits a bit higher than the V40 and has the rufty tufty panels to give it a bit of protection.

T5R92011 Feb 25th, 2020 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippyfox (Post 2603737)
Personally I'd go for a XC70, a better load lugger. Also if I'm not mistaken the V40 crosscountry is not AWD. It sits a bit higher than the V40 and has the rufty tufty panels to give it a bit of protection.

Initially only the 2.5 T5 was offered with AWD, but the later facelift 2.0-litre T5s and possibly D4 have AWD offered.

PRainbow Feb 25th, 2020 12:33

Found the V40’s are not AWD unless it’s the T5 petrol one.

Trouble is, my C30 has been brilliant. So many extras as it was an ex Volvo car. Drives well. Good on fuel. I think the way forward is new non sport springs and shocks, maybe some skid pans underneath.