Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What are these codes symptomatic of? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282926)

drone Jun 13th, 2018 17:55

What are these codes symptomatic of?

4 DTCs coming up on my iCARSOFT reader, on sons 2006 V70 D5 185 hp Auto 6 speed.
1. ECM 940F brake pedal sensor
2. ECM 1517 Turbo control pressure too high
3. ECM1540 Turbo control Pressure to high
4. ECM 1600 Charge pressure sensor.
When data logging the control for the egr is varying between 0.88 and 1.15 % whilst the EGR is showing 100%.

Is the charge pressure sensor shot?

SwissXC90 Jun 13th, 2018 19:06

Smells like 2 issues:

1. Brake pedal (easy to change)

2. Turbo overboost. Look at turbo controller mechanisn, vacuum lines, entire intake system including turbo BEFORE randomly replacing sensors.

drone Jun 13th, 2018 20:04

Thanks for the response, turbo is controlled by a motor not a diaphragm, the actual actuation links including the output arm do not appear to be moving at all.
I had the car up on axle stands and simulated the engine load by gently braking whilst in drive. Naturally enough, gently isn't in a 23 year old outside half's vocabulary and he was stalling the torque converter until I'd had enough when we took it out for a road test and did the logging.
The thing that puzzles me, as I do not yet have a grasp of the relationship between controller and egr v/v, is why the thing is open 100% when the sensor is showing around 1%.
Any ideas?
TBH I can pick up a second hand manifold pressure sensor for a tenner and if that susses the servomotor for the vane control it'll be 10 quid well spent.
Incidentally the swirl servomotor and linkage appears to work well, is failure of the swirl shaft in the cylinder head a known problem?

aland Jun 14th, 2018 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by drone (Post 2413929)
Incidentally the swirl servomotor and linkage appears to work well, is failure of the swirl shaft in the cylinder head a known problem?

Yes, search for 'swirl flap' and you'll find plenty of posts. I changed it in my XC90 a few years ago - however I had no turbo issues so that sounds unrelated.
I'd suggest investigating the turbo issue then the swirl flaps.

volvoid Jun 14th, 2018 17:10

the aliens are coming via venus but not till Ive had my tea

drone Jun 14th, 2018 20:33

Thanks for the answers including the, umm, dopey one :confused_smile:, brightens my day.
The crankcase ventilation system and general design of this engine is not that good is it.
I have an audi tt quattro as my play mobile and thought that was sh1te but this engine is much less friendly. The only thing they have in common is they both have 20 valves :buttkiss:
The turbo should have come off a couple of weekends ago but the downpipe 10mm fasteners are seized solid on the turbo outlet flange, I want to try the cheapo things first before I buy a spare turbo as, with my luck, I'll probably shear the studs but we'll see.