Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Brakes binding when turning... Help!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296585)

stevemac1977 Jul 13th, 2019 14:55

Brakes binding when turning... Help!!

Volvo S60 2.0t 2004.
Last year I had new hubs fitted and I had a horrible binding noise. Turns out the hubs were bending slightly causing the pads to touch the disc. Replaced under warranty and fine ever since. Had new discs and pads fit 2 weeks ago and now the binding and horrible noise is back!
At the time of fitting all the sliders were removed, cleaned and greased.
Other than hubs gone again I'm out of ideas.
Anyone can help me I'd be very grateful 👍

dingov70 Jul 13th, 2019 15:43

Hello there & welcome .

My first question would be was the hub fitted correctly i.e. new bolts used , torqued & stretched correctly along with new driveshaft bolt also fitted correctly
torqued /stretched as per the manual . Reusing old bolts will never do . Also taking a stab at the required figures can lead to very odd issues . see it daily as an MOT tester , even from professionals

Also were both mating faces cleaned properly before rebuilding? . Any grit / deris can make hub "lean " rather than bolt flush .

A simple test can be as easy as removing wheel , resting a marker pen on top of caliper ALMOST touching disc and you spin the disc , watching for the pen to leave a mark on the disc . Eliminate the simple before getting too deep

stevemac1977 Jul 13th, 2019 17:06

Hi, thank you for your reply.
Yes everything was fitted exactly as you have stated it should be (bit OCD with stuff like that!)
When the new discs and pads were fitted I even had the run out corrected so that they were matched to the hubs.

Cento16v Jul 13th, 2019 17:17

Are you sure it's the brakes and not the tyres hitting the inner arches because the lock limiter are worn?

stevemac1977 Jul 13th, 2019 17:38

100% brakes.
Steering lock limiters are new and have an additional shim behind them 👍

mrfixer Jul 13th, 2019 17:48

Long shot rubber brake hose faulty maybe

stevemac1977 Jul 13th, 2019 17:58

Mrfixer how might that affect things?

cheshired5 Jul 13th, 2019 18:08

The brake disc guards can easily be bent and catch the disc so check them all around.
Also grit can make its way between the disc and guard and wedge itself or the pad and disc so look for scoring.
When I had a tiny stone lodged, the noise would go away in reverse whereas the disc guard noise was in both directions.

barrybritcher Jul 15th, 2019 21:37

I would agree with simon it's more likely to be the thin disc guards and mechanics tend to use them as a counterhold when wrenching tight bolts

barrybritcher Jul 15th, 2019 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemac1977 (Post 2535996)
Volvo S60 2.0t 2004.
Last year I had new hubs fitted and I had a horrible binding noise. Turns out the hubs were bending slightly causing the pads to touch the disc. Replaced under warranty and fine ever since. Had new discs and pads fit 2 weeks ago and now the binding and horrible noise is back!
At the time of fitting all the sliders were removed, cleaned and greased.
Other than hubs gone again I'm out of ideas.
Anyone can help me I'd be very grateful 👍

you say the sliders were greased - this suggests they didnt follow the instructions on VIDA, so what else has been done wrong. (nothing wrong with a light grease in my opinion - but the official volvo guide says no grease)