Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine: 2.0 Carb B200K/B200F: No Compression (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335909)

Angie Oct 19th, 2023 22:40

No Compression

Car broke down last week, engine just died. Breakdown mechanic suggested timing belt but garage has checked and it's ok, timing ok too. That's all they've managed to do so far as they're very busy, but in the meantime I wondered if any of you knowledgeable people might have any ideas. The starter turns the engine but there's no compression, cylinder head complete overhaul very recently. In around fourteen years and 120,000 miles in my ownership (over 240,000 in total) I've never needed to call out rescue (Britannia have done well out of my premiums!) and MoT pass a couple of weeks ago with no advisories and amazingly low emission readings, engine's been running like a dream since head replaced, all very frustrating!

I should have said, car is a 1992 Torslanda.

Moomoo Oct 20th, 2023 08:58

Very odd Angie, no compression on all cylinders?🤔

Angie Oct 20th, 2023 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2919120)
Very odd Angie, no compression on all cylinders?🤔

Yes, engine just spinning over, very strange.

morsing Oct 20th, 2023 10:45

Can you post a video of turning it over?

classicswede Oct 20th, 2023 10:54

Sounds like the bottom cam belt gear has broken the locking tab causing timing to look right but be out

morsing Oct 20th, 2023 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2919136)
Sounds like the bottom cam belt gear has broken the locking tab causing timing to look right but be out

That's a bit extreme.

Timing belt could have slipped? Has the tensioner pulley been tightened and re-tightened properly after the head work?

Angie Oct 20th, 2023 15:17

Timing belt all ok, camshaft is turning apparently, mechanic thinks the 'something' key, sorry can't remember what he called it, might have sheered and caused the timing to have slipped, anyway that's his next investigation before removing cylinder head. I did ask if faulty crank sensor could be a factor and he thought not. I wondered if new, and obviously stronger, valve springs following overhaul could perhaps have caused extra stress. I'm just waiting to hear what the conclusions are but thought others might have experienced a similar problem and found the cause, could save garage time (=money!).

Thanks all of you for going to the trouble of replying.

classicswede Oct 20th, 2023 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2919162)
That's a bit extreme.

Timing belt could have slipped? Has the tensioner pulley been tightened and re-tightened properly after the head work?

Not at all extreme and a fairly easy fix

classicswede Oct 20th, 2023 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie (Post 2919169)
Timing belt all ok, camshaft is turning apparently, mechanic thinks the 'something' key, sorry can't remember what he called it, might have sheered and caused the timing to have slipped, anyway that's his next investigation before removing cylinder head. I did ask if faulty crank sensor could be a factor and he thought not. I wondered if new, and obviously stronger, valve springs following overhaul could perhaps have caused extra stress. I'm just waiting to hear what the conclusions are but thought others might have experienced a similar problem and found the cause, could save garage time (=money!).

Thanks all of you for going to the trouble of replying.

The tab or key on the crank pulley like I said. If you are square tooth then easy enough to replace round not so simple as drop in new ones not available

Being a B200 there is risk valves have bent but you might be lucky

honestjoe Oct 24th, 2023 06:08

I wonder if the engine in a tors is an interference engine?..Firstly sorry for your troubles...Does sound like the shear key has either gone on crank pulley or camshaft..and since the head has done fairly recently makes me think the cam gear may have come loose..If this happened to me i would either remove rocker cover and check for operation with a rachet on the crank pulley..(disconnect battery first)..as it has no compression should not be too hard..or i would remove radiator front grille all belts..is alternator..power steering..now you can remove cambelt cover and get a good look and and access to all pulleys from cam to crank..your problem hopefully will become evident..Here"s hoping you"ve had a lucky escape..hj.