Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Volvo v50 drive 2012 transmission snatch (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=218084)

padesu Nov 16th, 2014 16:13

Volvo v50 drive 2012 transmission snatch

Well, the wife got this car back in june from a main dealer, lovely condition with only 22k and still in Volvo warranty.
We picked it up and on the way home it was noticeable that there was quite a bit of play in the gearbox/transmission and when we returned to dealer it was ultimately diagnosed as cv joints excess play and were advised common problem known by Volvo duly rectified under warranty...only it wasn't really...as it has now returned not as bad but still very much in evidence .
There seems to be what I would term transmission snatch at low revs in high gear which manifests as jerky clunking and generally feels as though there is excess play somewhere in the drivetrain . My question: is this a known problem on these 6 speed boxes as I have a v50 same model but 2 years older ( 5 speed ) with much more mileage and the drivetrain on mine is as tight and clunk free as one could wish in fact night and day!! can anyone shed any light on this?

Guru Nov 16th, 2014 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by padesu (Post 1781788)
There seems to be what I would term transmission snatch at low revs in high gear which manifests as jerky clunking and generally feels as though there is excess play somewhere in the drivetrain.

Having read that, dual mass flywheel would be my guess, but in general, these MMT6 Getrag transmissions are not the tightest out there.
Clunking can also be caused by a worn lower torque mount, but that would be more noticeable during take off in 1st, or shifting down from 1st with high revs to 2nd.

Discoken Feb 16th, 2019 10:44

Snatch drivetrain

Hello guru, the lower torque mount would that be the alloy looking lower rear engine mount under car, my wife’s is very snatchy when pulling away and changing between 1st and 2nd gears, no noises from clutch pedal when stationary at all whilst checking for play in dual mass you wouldn’t even be aware that the clutch pedal was being operated as it’s silent

Discoken Feb 16th, 2019 10:46

Almost stalling

On another note our v50e is only a 1.6d almost stalls every time we go to pull away we have to give it some beans to not crawl off the line, any ideas many thanks ken

Bloders2 Feb 17th, 2019 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discoken (Post 2496131)
On another note our v50e is only a 1.6d almost stalls every time we go to pull away we have to give it some beans to not crawl off the line, any ideas many thanks ken

Sticky EGR valve.

Discoken Feb 23rd, 2019 09:58

Thanks bloders2 I will have to dismantle and clean I guess, any vids of this process you know off, also where I can purchase a lower engine mount ? Thanks again