Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Are D2s particularly problematic? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278076)

anton differing Feb 8th, 2018 13:47

Are D2s particularly problematic?

Or is that it's simply the motor most commonly purchased and therefore the one whose problems are most commonly reported?

I'm merely intrigued by the concentration of threads relating to D2s and their problems.

T5R92011 Feb 9th, 2018 23:22

Between 2012 - 2015, the D2 is a 1.6 Ford/Peugeot engine which is more likely to have problems.

After 2015 the D2 = 2.0 Volvo 'VEA' Diesel.

Always buy the Volvo engine, not the Peugeot/Ford engine.

GrahamBrown1 Feb 10th, 2018 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by anton differing (Post 2367036)
Or is that it's simply the motor most commonly purchased and therefore the one whose problems are most commonly reported?

I'm merely intrigued by the concentration of threads relating to D2s and their problems.

The Peugeot d2, I don’t by that it’s the most used engine so it’s bound to have more problems as there is more of them rubbish. It’s a crap engine doesn’t matter how many they make it’s still crap. The list of troubles on this forum is endless right from the s40 c30 v50 and they were still putting it in the v40 and it was no better.

Yes there are less Volvo engines but they don’t even give half the grief that the the pug engine did.

Acer Feb 10th, 2018 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 (Post 2367622)
The Peugeot d2, I don’t by that it’s the most used engine so it’s bound to have more problems as there is more of them rubbish. It’s a crap engine doesn’t matter how many they make it’s still crap. The list of troubles on this forum is endless right from the s40 c30 v50 and they were still putting it in the v40 and it was no better.

Yes there are less Volvo engines but they don’t even give half the grief that the the pug engine did.

It is also correct, however, that we hear more about the problems because the D2 is the most common V40. Yes it seems to be a problematic engine but the Volvo VEA D2 also has some EGR issues.

haynesbookoflies Feb 16th, 2018 07:17

My own opinion after owning one is they are very sensitive. Parts used to service need to be the exact spec and done on time. Not saying its all because people are using the wrong oil but I suspect that doesn't help. PSA had a genuine crack at making an engine that conformed. unlike VW Audi group that have set about killing 10000 a year in Germany alone god knows how many here with their crap!

If serviced on time with the correct oil and the other small things that need sorting are done on time and you use good quality fuel your chances are better.

I had the same engine in a french car and it was ok...

You can't forget the fact Ford use it, BMW use it, Volvo use it, Citroen Use it. When people say there are more of these out there the numbers will be substantially more than. I'd bet more the cheaper cars have more issues as they are less well maintained.

That said I'd always go for a 5 pot now!!!!!

HR Volvo Aug 11th, 2018 00:46

D2 - is absolutely the — same as any diesel

D2 is fine - when launched in 8 valve form it was reliable and most problems sorted. The main one being the trade had worked them out ie only use top grade oil Replace filters and clean sump if turbo goes and maintain in line with service.

The engine is a re ark able bit of technology with high power output from a small displacement. Remember PSA group are innovative and clever with engines when they are In the mood — the D2 is the same as most diesels - has a few issues but Is basically sound and in tests emits what it says it does unlike some other more prestigious diesel manufacturers

Clan Aug 11th, 2018 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HR Volvo (Post 2436068)
D2 is fine - when launched in 8 valve form it was reliable and most problems sorted. The main one being the trade had worked them out ie only use top grade oil Replace filters and clean sump if turbo goes and maintain in line with service.

The engine is a re ark able bit of technology with high power output from a small displacement. Remember PSA group are innovative and clever with engines when they are In the mood — the D2 is the same as most diesels - has a few issues but Is basically sound and in tests emits what it says it does unlike some other more prestigious diesel manufacturers

Indeed the 1600 D2 is fine , most of the problems are due to poor or neglected servicing , and garages bodging things , and simple things like particle filter pressure sensor pipes rotting and people changing other related parts just in case it fixes the problem without doing proper diagnosis . Don't be frightened by a D2 a lot of what you hear is hearsay .

Tannaton Aug 11th, 2018 22:35

The D2 in the V40 is fine.

You do hear of some problems but keep in mind the following:

The PSA D2 is fitted to the economy models so people buying them are less likely to spend money maintaining their cars to manufacturers spec. It doesn't matter that it's a PSA derived engine, the economy engine is always going to be the most neglected.

The PSA D2 is reliable, but not as reliable as it's Volvo made counterparts which are exceptionally reliable.... everything is relative.

monkeh Aug 12th, 2018 01:34

I'm sorry, totally unrelated but I consider the d2, to be a kubota 2 cylinder diesel found in a mini dumper!

Tannaton Aug 12th, 2018 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeh (Post 2436347)
I'm sorry, totally unrelated but I consider the d2, to be a kubota 2 cylinder diesel found in a mini dumper!

I sort of see where you are coming from.... but they are reliable too !