Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sat Nav/Phone: Retro fit (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287764)

hodge911 Oct 21st, 2018 14:13

Retro fit

Hi all just bought a 2004 xc90
It has not got factory satnav and I'm wondering how easy / hard is it to fit a S/H unit from another vehicle
Any advice be it good or bad happily accepted

Harley Dave Oct 21st, 2018 16:05

Save yourself the grief and get a standalone Garmin

Cheers

Dave

reggit Oct 21st, 2018 19:02

If you want the factory nav, the cheapest way is to buy a car with it already in. It’s a whole lot of expense and headache for what is a 17 year old system.
Don’t get me wrong, I like mine but the lack of postcode input is a pain.

As said, get a stand alone garmin or Tom Tom or google maps on a smartphone.

Kwozzymodo Oct 21st, 2018 19:13

I have a 2005 Exec with the nav and phone. Don’t bother........

Your mobile phone will have better mapping tech and you can get a bluetooth hands free module for voice calls etc.

john langrick Oct 22nd, 2018 23:28

Reading with interest, and I also have integrated satnav and phone.

Certainly both are old technology, for example the phone needs a 2g sim, but I have a my2003 and the sat nav certainly does have post code entry. Select the 'city' line and you get the option on top of the screen, tab right for post code entry.

I personally use all sorts of navigation software including garmin and google maps on phone, but in support of older volvo satnsve technology, I think it works fine and use it often.

Key to retrofitting and I am not an expert, but there are integrated controls on the steering wheel and the phone will need major changes to the icm ( for a start it has phone controls on it.).

So I would also agree that this would be an expensive and comprehesive retrofit and other members in my opinion are correct it that it really is not necessary with off the shelf alternatives

Hope this helps.

harveys Oct 22nd, 2018 23:35

It's not just hardware the software will be the real problem.

hodge911 Oct 23rd, 2018 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by harveys (Post 2460125)
It's not just hardware the software will be the real problem.

Having read the replies and looked on ebay for the parts I think I'll leave alone and maybe just do a head unit install with an after market media head unit ( done this in my mercedes) I have seen a quite good video on YouTube on how to do it on the xc90

reggit Oct 24th, 2018 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by john langrick (Post 2460122)
Reading with interest, and I also have integrated satnav and phone.

Certainly both are old technology, for example the phone needs a 2g sim, but I have a my2003 and the sat nav certainly does have post code entry. Select the 'city' line and you get the option on top of the screen, tab right for post code entry

That’s interesting, it doesn’t on the V70 (with 2015 maps - mmm nav unit), so it looks like the XC90 has a different hardware version.