Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Steering: Non power: Aftermarket Steering Wheel Boss (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310671)

Welsh Jon Oct 7th, 2020 23:20

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Boss

Hi All, can anyone categorically state differences in steering column over 200 series production. I've bought a nice new 380mm OMP steering wheel for my sons '75 244 (non power steering) and when searching for a suitable wheel boss I keep getting the following fitment when I'm using my car details:

''
Volvo 240 (All years)

Volvo 242, 244, 245 (From 1982 onwards) ''

What might be the difference then between the 240 all years and the 242,44,45 post 82 ?? Need to get this right as it's a Birthday present together with a Prancing Moose horn push I've ordered with Dave Barton.

Anyone know the specific model number of OMP or MOMO boss for a non P.S '75 244 ???

Stephen Edwin Oct 8th, 2020 20:34

Hello.

Looking at that info, I just wonder if there was a difference before 1982.

All I can tell you is. My 1992 240 came to me with power steering and with the usual later models type steering wheel. When I fitted the sightly older larger steering wheel, one with two rectangular horn buttons, it was a simple swap.

One deep socket. There are thread(s) talking about for example being careful not to accidentally disconnect a wire. And be careful to maintain the spline alignment so for example the indicators still self cancel correctly.

Good luck and enjoy.

classicswede Oct 9th, 2020 01:32

The shape is not exactly the same between early and late dash. The splines are the same but the cowling around the steering wheel is not the same.

I stock both types

Stephen Edwin Oct 9th, 2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2671720)
The shape is not exactly the same between early and late dash. The splines are the same but the cowling around the steering wheel is not the same.

I am not an expert or purist re the 244/45 or 240. So I can only say, on my 1992 240 the earlier steering wheel fits happily alongside the hole in the later cowling.

The issue Jon seems to be how the third party boss is alongside the cowling of the 1975 car. Is there any helpful feedback on any sales web pages?

Jon. Best wishes whatever you do.

Welsh Jon Oct 9th, 2020 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2671720)

I stock both types

I'll give you a buzz Monday then to order the right one. Knew someone on here would know what's what. Cheers for now.

Stephen Edwin Oct 9th, 2020 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh Jon (Post 2671821)
I'll give you a buzz Monday then to order the right one. Knew someone on here would know what's what. Cheers for now.

Jon.

I do not know if classicswede is selling two types of dashboard cowling, or two tpes of steering wheel, or two types of boss to suit the steering wheel you have bought.

I suspect your son might not want to change the dashboard cowling and I do not know if that would have consequences re column mounted switches for example. I think you are actually looking for the best boss for your son's car.

Overall it sounds to me that the seller(s) of bosses are offering two types.
They could be using the expressions 244 and 240 er, loosely. Have you asked them to be more specific and asked them about your son's year of car?

Sorry to say this but. Really. The advertisers seem to be pick and mixing their descriptions.

Stephen

Welsh Jon Oct 9th, 2020 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2671864)
Jon.

I do not know if classicswede is selling two types of dashboard cowling, or two tpes of steering wheel, or two types of boss to suit the steering wheel you have bought.

I suspect your son might not want to change the dashboard cowling and I do not know if that would have consequences re column mounted switches for example. I think you are actually looking for the best boss for your son's car.

Overall it sounds to me that the seller(s) of bosses are offering two types.
They could be using the expressions 244 and 240 er, loosely. Have you asked them to be more specific and asked them about your son's year of car?

Sorry to say this but. Really. The advertisers seem to be pick and mixing their descriptions.

Stephen

Quite Stephen , when I told one well known supplier of aftermarket and race/rally parts it was for a Volvo their guy could be heard laughing. I hung up on him as he obviously didn't want my business. Another I phoned had bosses advertised at a seemingly good price but when I enquired as to their returns policy should the supplied one not fit he said I had to pay postage and an 'admin' charge. I'm phoning Dai at Classic Swede on Monday - he's sure to help sort this out and be able to supply the right part 1st time.

Clifford Pope Oct 16th, 2020 18:54

I salvaged a nice "Anniversay Car" steering wheel from a 1977 car years ago, and have fitted it to every replacement 240 since then. I found no problems with the cowling on any years 1990, 91, 92 or 93.

I did notice however that the chamfer on the inside edge of the boss where it tightens against the ridge on the column shaft was slightly different, but on some cars not others. This caused the wheel to sit about 1/2 mm closer, and required a little bit of tweaking to make a good horn contact. I simply inserted a washer (was it a fibre one?) behind the spring-loaded contact to adjust the pressure at the rotating contact point.

I kept the old wheel because I like the larger diameter, and the older style of spoke arrangement. Also because it has a lovely brass and blue real enamel medalion inset in a slight recess in the horn push.
The silver (I think it must be real silver) commemorative plate makes a very satisfying key fob.

I did once have a complete set of special deep pile plush seats and carpets, and kept them for years. No one wanted them even free so they went to the tip in the end. (saloon, so no good in my estates)

Stephen Edwin Oct 17th, 2020 16:21

Hello,

Did Classic Swede find and supply a suitable boss for you?

How much money is involved for the bosses you found on the interweb?

Is it worth giving the steering wheel as a gift and then having the pleasure of working with your son to find and choose a boss?

I suspect, no more than suspect, any of the bosses you have found will be OK. I hope so.

Good luck.

Welsh Jon Oct 21st, 2020 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2673878)
Hello,

Did Classic Swede find and supply a suitable boss for you?

How much money is involved for the bosses you found on the interweb?

Is it worth giving the steering wheel as a gift and then having the pleasure of working with your son to find and choose a boss?

I suspect, no more than suspect, any of the bosses you have found will be OK. I hope so.

Good luck.

I spoke with Dai (Classic Swede) on the phone and he's coming back to me as soon as he has them in stock. Apparently the aperture for the column in the cowl is smaller on the earliest 200 series cars like mine.
Meanwhile I've received new silver on black pressed steel number plates so another nice accessory for the car my son can open on his birthday.