Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   condensor again (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274783)

arcturus Nov 8th, 2017 11:41

condensor again

What is it with condensers? they seem to have a worse "use by" than cooked ham.I must have changed at least four between two cars in the last 12 months. Is the quality so poor or do mt cars have an underlying problem?

Faust Nov 8th, 2017 13:25

I've certainly found that cheap ignition components from eBay or the local auto-jumble are a waste of time and money.

Distributor caps: few years back I was not even getting 500 miles out of them before the carbon bush in the top (where if touches the rotor arm) would break off. Spent a bit more money on a decent quality cap from Simon at Brookhouse and I've not had a problem since.

Your condenser issue might relate to cheap, unreliable parts, or it could be a symptom of another issue with your engine.

First thing I would check is all the earths in the engine bay, with particular attention to the condenser wiring and bracket.

Is the rest of the ignition system (both low and high tension sides) in good order?

Are you sure you're using the right type of condenser - there are different types available. From memory, some have a round plastic bung (where is fits through the dizzy body) and some have a square shape. Not sure how much difference this will make - but I'm sure Ron will be along soon to share his wealth of electrical knowledge!

arcturus Nov 8th, 2017 13:29

As far as I know, yes. I may consider changing to a 123 at some time to put an end to all these problems. With you on dizy cap. just had to change one with broken center contact on my B20

Faust Nov 8th, 2017 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 2335717)
As far as I know, yes. I may consider changing to a 123 at some time to put an end to all these problems. With you on dizy cap. just had to change one with broken center contact on my B20

Considered one of those myself, but I'm old-skool (I find setting a points gap strangely... calming).

A well set up 'traditional' system is just as effective as a 123 or similar system IMO - it just negates the need for routine maintenance.

The very fact that some people keep a spare set of points & a condenser in their car in case the new unit 'fails' tells me all I need to know about them!

Clan Nov 8th, 2017 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 2335671)
What is it with condensers? they seem to have a worse "use by" than cooked ham.I must have changed at least four between two cars in the last 12 months. Is the quality so poor or do mt cars have an underlying problem?

you only have to look at one to see how frail they are compared to a volvo condenser of the 90's ...

Ron Kwas Nov 8th, 2017 18:56

Arcturus; If they have had no other changes to the OE Ign Sys, and replacement fixes the issue (until Condenser fails again) in the (too) near future, I don't expect your cars have an "underlying problem", but 12 month/two occurrences is certainly an unacceptable failure rate...I presume it was confirmed by replacement only...unfortunately, that doesn't give much clarification as to the failure mode. I too had a Condenser (authentic Bosch part) fail after restart of a long-term parked vehicle. The car would start fine, but not rev...suggesting a somewhat complicated internal, voltage related breakdown, but only under certain conditions (raised RPMs). I suspect an ingress-of-moisture-issue, because the car was exhibiting no such symptoms when stored...I would love to see Breakdown Voltage test results on those failed pieces...but this would require highly specialized test equipment...

Faust; Thanks for reference, but I have no good, simple answers here...I do note that no name, inexpensive e-bay, are often china sh*t goods, not even worth their low cost, when they totally trash the reliability of the vehicle like that!...I recommend buying authentic Bosch brand parts, only from a reputable sources (which can trace supplies back to the manufacturers) ...I'm sure there are counterfeit trash parts out there, sold even in counterfeit packaging, and I wouldn't be surprised if these have flooded the market and are responsible for this...it should be open hunting season/no bag limit on those suppliers!

Clan; "you only have to look at one to see how frail they are compared" can you elaborate or post some pix?

Maybe contacting Bosch directly, and asking them what they know about this, or sending them some failed units for post-morten, is in order...I'll put it on my to-do list...

Cheers

Clan Nov 8th, 2017 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Kwas (Post 2335838)
Arcturus; If they have had no other changes to the OE Ign Sys, and replacement fixes the issue (until Condenser fails again) in the (too) near future, I don't expect your cars have an "underlying problem", but 12 month/two occurrences is certainly an unacceptable failure rate...I presume it was confirmed by replacement only...unfortunately, that doesn't give much clarification as to the failure mode. I too had a Condenser (authentic Bosch part) fail after restart of a long-term parked vehicle. The car would start fine, but not rev...suggesting a somewhat complicated internal, voltage related breakdown, but only under certain conditions (raised RPMs). I suspect an ingress-of-moisture-issue, because the car was exhibiting no such symptoms when stored...I would love to see Breakdown Voltage test results on those failed pieces...but this would require highly specialized test equipment...

Faust; Thanks for reference, but I have no good, simple answers here...I do note that no name, inexpensive e-bay, are often china sh*t goods, not even worth their low cost, when they totally trash the reliability of the vehicle like that!...I recommend buying authentic Bosch brand parts, only from a reputable sources (which can trace supplies back to the manufacturers) ...I'm sure there are counterfeit trash parts out there, sold even in counterfeit packaging, and I wouldn't be surprised if these have flooded the market and are responsible for this...it should be open hunting season/no bag limit on those suppliers!

Clan; "you only have to look at one to see how frail they are compared" can you elaborate or post some pix?

Maybe contacting Bosch directly, and asking them what they know about this, or sending them some failed units for post-morten, is in order...I'll put it on my to-do list...

Cheers

It's ok , you said condenser and i think Air conditioning !

I'm sure there are some old unused Bosch condensers around
I have several sets of Genuine volvo points from the 1980's but no condenser .
You might be able to adapt one of these lucas condensers from the Distributor Doctor :

http://www.distributordoctor.com/dis...condensers.htm

arcturus Nov 9th, 2017 09:07

Clan,had a look at the "dizy doctor" you quote. Unfortunately they don't seem to take "on line " orders

c1800 Nov 9th, 2017 18:41

iroll motors website lists some Bosch Condensers.

Clan Nov 9th, 2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 2335997)
Clan,had a look at the "dizy doctor" you quote. Unfortunately they don't seem to take "on line " orders

It is best to phone him and have a chat , he is very knowledgeable, an old Lucas service guy who knows how to alter advance curves with different bob weight springs etc , He will have something suitable i'm sure .