Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Seatbelt length & Child seat. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=6847)

twinturbo Oct 10th, 2004 07:50

Seatbelt length & Child seat.

Has anyone else ever had trouble fitting child seats due to teh seatbelt being too short?

My Sierra was poor,
My Mk1 Golf was poor,
and the 850 Is dreadful!!!

Anyone know a way to safely extend the lenght of the belt? is there an extension belt type thing available!!

I was hoping my big family car would fit my family :(

TT

Matt_Watkins Oct 10th, 2004 09:47

RE: Seatbelt length & Child seat.

I found that there was just enough length for a rear facing seat and cradle type seat and plent for a forward facing seat.

twinturbo Oct 10th, 2004 13:14

Yeah, that's what I have found.. Back seat passenger get's a bit cramped!!

TT

cootuk Oct 10th, 2004 14:09

Depending what type you need, I got a secondhand Volvo seat (known history) for rearfacing our baby. Now she is older we have a Maxi Priory about £100 - not the cheapest but one of the few that will fit.
We had been advised against getting seatbelt extensions.
It was also interesting to see that Volvo officially state that side air bags are ok with babyseats, whereas Mothercare claimed the opposite.

twinturbo Oct 10th, 2004 17:36

Have you still got the volvo seat? Any chance your selling?

Ta

TT

cootuk Oct 10th, 2004 21:20

The wife says we are keeping it, so I guess she is planning something!

paul850 Oct 12th, 2004 20:28

Common problem! I priced longer belts from main dealer. About £75 for normal belts and £200 for pyrotechnic belts. These are only for front seats only, they don't do longer belts for rear seats.
I went to Halfords and they were very helpul. They took a couple of seats out to my car to try them. Ended up with a Britax seat which had an offer on it. 2 years later and still pleased with it.

good luck.

Paul

paddlejonny Oct 12th, 2004 20:47

Paul,
Was the child seat rear facing on the rear? If so what model did you find fitted?

I have also had problems with getting a group 0+ child seat to fit in my 2000 V70. I had seen the Volvo isofix car seat in my owners manual but haven't come across them on accessory sites. Anyone got more info on these,know if they still supply them?

Jonathan

bigandquick Oct 12th, 2004 21:12

I've got two child seats and a booster in the back of my 850 T5 - no problems at all with seat belt length. They are all Britax seats.
I did however have this problem in a previous 360. Got round that by buying a Britax belt which bolts onto the regular seat belt mounting points. This was for securing a baby seat which had it's own restraining belts, so I don't know whether it would be an option in this case.
I do recall however that Britax operate a support line where they can advise on whether one of their seats will fit a particular model of car. The Mothercare we frequented weren't too clued up in this area, but were happy to try a seat for fit before purchase.

cootuk Oct 12th, 2004 22:26

It surprised me that Mothercare didn't keep a list of cars the seats will/won't fit. They must waste a lot of time trying various seats.
Anyone else had an argument about side air bags?