Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Help with Engine system service required message (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316728)

Dave key May 10th, 2021 15:42

Help with Engine system service required message

Hello folks,

I'm a new member and have owned a lovely black 2010 XC60 D5 SE Lux for 2 years now.
I've tried searching for a definitive answer but not sure of the many threads and responses from the internet.
My problem being the Engine system service required message.
I've had the car remapped recently and the technician said it was the air flow sensor. So, I replaced the mass airflow sensor and also had a service (and MOT). The message was deleted by the garage and has remained off for a week, but returned today.
The car only does local journeys and hasn't had a decent run for ages. This afternoon i took it for a blast in the hope it might clear.....
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cheshired5 May 10th, 2021 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave key (Post 2735775)
I've tried searching for a definitive answer

There is no definitive answer as that message can be triggered by many many possible causes.
A code read with Dice and Vida is the best starting point which will give a Volvo specific code, explanation of the code and suggestions as to the possible causes and fixes.
Cheaper elm327 engine code readers are also available but with much reduced levels of information.

Basically, whether cheap or less cheap, get the codes read.

FredGraham May 10th, 2021 16:00

My Car

It may be of no relevance to your problem as I don't know anything about your car. However I'd like to tell you about an experience that I had with my car. I too had the service required message on the display. On my car, a C70 MY2006 there are two buttons/knobs coming from the dash, one for the trip reset & the other for the clock adjust. Everything I looked at on Youtube was telling me to work with the r/h button. This turned out to be the clock, so I followed the instructions but applied them to the trip reset and this cleared the service required message. I can only hope that this info will help sort your issue.
Good luck
Fred :confused_smile:

cheshired5 May 10th, 2021 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredGraham (Post 2735782)
I followed the instructions but applied them to the trip reset and this cleared the service required message.

That only works for regular service reminders based on time or distance since last reset whereas the wording on the OP's display suggests an actual fault code.

Deck1ng May 10th, 2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave key (Post 2735775)

My problem being the Engine system service required message.

The messages, “maintenance due, or maintenance overdue”. Can be simple removed by tweaking the T1 or T2 button.

Engine system service required, would to me imply a more serious fault. Especially if it is accompanied by an indicator light, maintenance due or overdue does not. IIRC.

Dave key May 10th, 2021 19:34

Thanks for the advice

treidlia May 11th, 2021 22:58

I suggest engine maintenance required message after service of D5, would bring oil overfill scenario to mind.

Jeremy XC60 May 30th, 2021 12:19

I had the same issue with mine after buying the car from a dealer who said it had just been serviced. I took it to my preferred garage, who read, noted and cleared the codes to begin again at ground zero. No fault lights/warnings have appeared after two weeks, so it might just have been a glitch.