Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   V40: T4 2002 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290534)

padge1952 Jan 11th, 2019 10:44

T4 2002

I very recently had my annual MOT on my 2002 V40 T4 and the car was failed on and I quote:
"Macpherson strut pin or bush excessively worn both Nearside & Offside Front (top mount)."
The MOT garage has quoted £190 to replace both including labour and VAT but the maths don't seem to add up to me i.e. it seems very cheap. Volvo have quoted £67.50 + VAT for just one metal 'top mount' plate on its own let alone all the other parts (bearings, rubber sleeves, etc)? I don't know how they have come to this financial figure but it seems like guesswork to me and I am very cautious. I am getting a second opinion but has anyone any experience of this repair as I can only assume you don't really know what the 'excessive wear' is until you take it apart. Anyone have any thoughts?

gazO2V40T4 Jan 11th, 2019 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by padge1952 (Post 2483793)
I very recently had my annual MOT on my 2002 V40 T4 and the car was failed on and I quote:
"Macpherson strut pin or bush excessively worn both Nearside & Offside Front (top mount)."
The MOT garage has quoted £190 to replace both including labour and VAT but the maths don't seem to add up to me i.e. it seems very cheap. Volvo have quoted £67.50 + VAT for just one metal 'top mount' plate on its own let alone all the other parts (bearings, rubber sleeves, etc)? I don't know how they have come to this financial figure but it seems like guesswork to me and I am very cautious. I am getting a second opinion but has anyone any experience of this repair as I can only assume you don't really know what the 'excessive wear' is until you take it apart. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hello basically what they are telling you is that the rubber mount that sits between the coil spring cap and the strut turret of you car has worn which in turn is not holding the top of the shocker in place at all times

For instance when you go down a bumpy road or sometimes over manhole cover do you get a slight knocking noise from the front of the car ?

If the answer is yes replacing the top mounts should cure this problem

As far as the price goes I presume you are not using a Volvo garage

Which in turn generally means they will be using aftermarket parts but possibly Volvo parts at a heavily discounted price

There price will cover the cost of the parts plus about 2-3 hrs labour

Hope this helps

Antz Jan 11th, 2019 17:39

They wont use genuine Volvo parts. They will use the cheapest parts from the local motor factors.

padge1952 Jan 12th, 2019 10:21

Antz/Gaz
Thanks for your quick replies to my query which confirmed what I thought. The answer to the question re the garage is 'No' the MOT centre is not a Volvo garage and if I agreed I suspected they would do the work as cheaply as possible. You may be interested to know that a Volvo dealer has quoted two front 'Top Mounts' with all the component parts is £580 (inc VAT) so you can see why I was sceptical about the £190 quote all in! Whenever I can I always use Volvo parts so I will get other quotes to do the work. Thanks again.

FunkyMelon Jan 12th, 2019 12:25

Just buy the gen parts from Volvo direct or online then get your local to fit them at less than £150 per hour labour - yes, that's what my loyal main dealer now charges!

Antz Jan 16th, 2019 13:28

Yep agreed. Just buy the parts from the main dealer and have a local garage fit them. I do it all the time because then I know I've got a good part that I asked for and not some cheap crap from Eurocarparts with a mark up on it.