Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Any ideas? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292248)

Dash300 Feb 27th, 2019 17:13

Any ideas?

Pootling along today at about 30 mph the word ALARM appeared on my Sensus screen and the radio came on with some orchestral music. I pressed the Exit button and it all went off. The radio was off at the time and not tuned to a classical music frequency.
Car is an XC60 SE Lux Nav 2015.
Never happened before in 90k miles. Not sure how lane departure activates but as far as I am aware I don't have lane departure fitted.
Any ideas?

AndyJudge Feb 27th, 2019 17:23

Yes it's the Broadcast Alarm signal designed to allow the authorities to warn of a National emergency or similar.

Have had it a few times on mine & the Radio switches to Classic FM (IIRC) where the broadcast in times of trouble is then transmitted.

Nothing to worry about it's a radio station sending it by mistake.

Dash300 Feb 27th, 2019 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJudge (Post 2499438)
Yes it's the Broadcast Alarm signal designed to allow the authorities to warn of a National emergency or similar.

Have had it a few times on mine & the Radio switches to Classic FM (IIRC) where the broadcast in times of trouble is then transmitted.

Nothing to worry about it's a radio station sending it by mistake.

Wow! Interesting, I am still of an age expecting a siren would sound as a warning! Which I hasten to add I would still need if driving my antique Landy.
Wonder how many drivers were startled like me by by this mistake.
I guess all media including mobiles can be used for warnings however.
Many thanks for your info Andy.

volvo for ever Feb 28th, 2019 07:02

the Message “alarm” may be shown in display . This is due to area your in where a radio station transmitting is sending messages incorrectly new IAM sw will cure this see your dealler

AndyJudge Feb 28th, 2019 08:06

I would add mines done it twice in the last few months (All SW updates in place as of October 2018 when it was serviced)

Once was Near Mansfield, which was the 1st instance & confused me, one moment some Motown from USB, Next Alarm followed by Classic FM

Once was Near Cramlington, Which confused my parents who were in the car no end.

It's a bit like the Happy Car Symbol, Still not worked out a pattern for it's random display.

CoolDave Feb 28th, 2019 10:43

I've had this several times also. For me it triggers when I drive into the Blackwall tunnel S/B. but only approx 50% of the time.

leahcim Mar 4th, 2019 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJudge (Post 2499581)
I would add mines done it twice in the last few months (All SW updates in place as of October 2018 when it was serviced)

Once was Near Mansfield, which was the 1st instance & confused me, one moment some Motown from USB, Next Alarm followed by Classic FM

Once was Near Cramlington, Which confused my parents who were in the car no end.

It's a bit like the Happy Car Symbol, Still not worked out a pattern for it's random display.

The alarm was BECAUSE you were near Mansfield :teeth_smile: