Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: BBC News (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280675)

Stu V8 2007 Apr 15th, 2018 22:18

BBC News

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting.

GSTheo119 Apr 15th, 2018 22:42

Same confusing article is in the Torygraph. It's a heart warming statistic but I thought autonomous braking was a second gen feature only. If so presumably the 45thousand odd first gen 90s simply relied on airbags, abs, handling and being built like tanks to keep their occupants safe!

eternal optimist Apr 15th, 2018 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTheo119 (Post 2393204)
Same confusing article is in the Torygraph. It's a heart warming statistic but I thought autonomous braking was a second gen feature only. If so presumably the 45thousand odd first gen 90s simply relied on airbags, abs, handling and being built like tanks to keep their occupants safe!

....and there's probably something about the profile of drivers who choose XC 90's that means their driving style means they're less likely to be involved in a potentially fatal accident.

TWPC Apr 15th, 2018 23:44

The design of the gen 1 XC90 wasn't just tank like. Wasn't it one of the first mass produced cars to incorporate boron steel in its construction? Its design was far more "car-like" than many of its SUV peers at the time; monocoque chassis, transverse engine giving loads of space, a relatively low centre of gravity which contributed to decent stability. Also I guess the electronic anti-roll tech, although I'm sure archaic by current standards, must have contributed to its performance. Remember all the excitement about top heavy SUVs toppling over in the 2000s, especially Ford Explorers?

Also XC90 drivers may be inherently careful, but they (we) have always gravitated towards certain cars and it's only the XC90 that has achieved this amazing performance over such a long period. It would be interesting to know how many fatalities there have been in XC90s globally since its launch.

Mistero Apr 16th, 2018 08:06

I'm sure I read somewhere and I can't remember where that in USA there was a motor vehicle department (I think it's since disbanded) which monitored deaths and serious injury for all car and SUV crashes.
I'm sure it read something like, (and the figures might be wrong), but out of 100,000 sold in the US, the XC90 Mk1 body shell had one US fatality and about three people serious injured, (being drivers and passengers inside the car).
Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Tannaton Apr 16th, 2018 08:41

Here is the link to the full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43752226

Very reassuring!

SwissXC90 Apr 16th, 2018 13:02

The fact that I am alive and reading this thread is testament to the ability of the XC90 to keep me alive. It's worked well to date.

Not only have I not been killed when in the XC90, I have also never had a crash in the XC90.

Does that count as double?

kdst5 Apr 16th, 2018 22:09

Also remember that unlike a lot of cars which seem to be built to meet the NCAP tests Volvos are built to withstand real crashes as they analyse real world crashes in Sweden.

okedave Apr 16th, 2018 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2393364)
The fact that I am alive and reading this thread is testament to the ability of the XC90 to keep me alive. It's worked well to date.

Not only have I not been killed when in the XC90, I have also never had a crash in the XC90.

Does that count as double?

I on the other hand can say thanks to the build quality not only am I (and my family) alive following a full speed head on collision just before Christmas but we walked away with nothing but whiplash, bruises and a burnt nose for my wife from the airbag (made her look like rudolph just in time for Christmas lol). The other car's engine bay (and engine) simply disintegrated as it bounced off the front of our XC90, spun round past us and continued on. The XC90 didnt budge from the point of impact, luckily the driver of that vehicle also escaped with minor injuries. Ironically our XC90 might have saved her life, as we believe that if we hadnt been there she would have hit the bank and flipped over.

We bought another XC90 obviously :-)

Stu V8 2007 Apr 17th, 2018 13:35

Wow, glad you're all ok Dave.