Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   36 volt systems what are the pros and cons (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11911)

4 forty Aug 15th, 2002 18:10

36 volt systems what are the pros and cons

having paid a visit to a reputable engine tuner this week,he told me that within the next two years, all new cars would have a 36 volt system, as the present 12 volt system can not cope with all the electical load of all the accesories now being fitted.
i know hgv,s have a 24 volt system, but what will the drawbacks be to car owners i wonder?
comments please on this topic, no doubt there will be a good response.
regards
paul

pettaw Aug 15th, 2002 18:50

RE: 36 volt systems what are the pros and con

Sounds a bit weird, means that the batteries would have to be huge, or else with very small cells. Could make sense I suppose, 'cos its not the low voltage that is the prob with car electrics, its the nasty thing voltage drop and I suppose that a higher voltage would be less sensitive to voltage drop.

Andy

Peter Milnes Aug 15th, 2002 23:24

Not to mention less current for the same power, lower rated fuses and relays, motors etc. Just think, starting your car with about 75Amps instead of 300Amps plus!!

All the best, Peter.

foggyjames Aug 17th, 2002 00:33

If they make it run on 240v, that would slove so many accessory problems :) no more car fridges, etc....and I could plug both my 2.5kW power amps straight in instead of having to buy a 12v car amp...!

ok, so it would still need inverting....and the battery would be enormous....but its a nice idea, eh?

cheers

James

Peter Milnes Aug 17th, 2002 23:55

They used to do something similar to your proposal. They called them tramcars and trolleybuses.

All the best, Peter.

Simon Linton Aug 18th, 2002 08:19

They still do, Peter - they call them diesel-electric locomotives

foggyjames Aug 18th, 2002 09:46

Except that they have 6000-odd HP, and run at upto 100kV!

cheers

James

Simon Linton Aug 18th, 2002 22:40

...well, nobody's perfect...

pettaw Aug 19th, 2002 06:19

Yeah and 0-60 in about 10 minutes, top of 125 mph though LOL

Andy

Seriously though, don't some cars have this facility already, a low current 240V supply or am I dreaming?

foggyjames Aug 19th, 2002 08:49

Yeah - I think youre right. My mates ford galaxy has a pair of (12v) cigar lighter sockets in the back, but im sure that some others have 240v feeds.

cheers

James