Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fuel Guage fix (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=16014)

goldie Feb 16th, 2006 11:43

Fuel Guage fix

I have just successfully repaired my erratic fuel guage problems on my 740 by simply soldering 3 wires from guage itself(Where connecter pins are soldered on to pcb)to the solder tags on flexible instrument pcb thus bypassing the plug & socket connection which was giving intermittant contact.
The same thing could be done to the other guages if needed.

James_N Feb 16th, 2006 13:52

Hmm thanks for the info :) my gauge just doesnt work at all (apart from on startup where it moves from empty to full and back to empty again, and stays there). Ive got a new fuel sender at home so im hoping this will fix the problem :)

goldie Feb 16th, 2006 14:49

Would probably be worth trying this first as most 700 faults re fuel guage seem to be caused by bad connections at this point

James_N Feb 16th, 2006 18:08

yeah. Personally I dont know much about these sort of things so im gonna drop it in at the garage my mom works at and see what the score is.

alsner Feb 17th, 2006 00:03

Great one Goldie

That's some top tip advice there cheers, my fuel gauge on my 740 is well er just is.. You say you can do it with other gauges, speedo?? don't want to take my dash out and kill the speedo totally, at the moment it's only failing for the 5 mins of any journey..

ivor940 Feb 17th, 2006 10:22

If you are changing tank sender unit, do use info in "700/900 FAQ" in our site or on brickboard.com. There are some good tips there.

ivor940

James_N Feb 17th, 2006 20:43

well my mom works at a garage so the friendly mechanic is going to fit it for me on Monday :)

KEITH 60 Feb 18th, 2006 12:46

Fuel Gauge Problems

You Are Perfectly Correct - Soldering In Slave Wires To Bypass The Faulty Printed Cicuit Is A Solution That I Discovered Some 18 Months Ago, And I Did Post This Information To James N A Short Time Ago When He Was Inquiring About A Fuel Tank Sender For His 740 In The Spares/parts Requied Section.

Kind Regards

Keith 60

anaheimduck Feb 19th, 2006 06:26

Fuel Gauge

Hi I have just bought a 740 with the same fault can you tell me the procedure for this repair I have not yet bought a manual for this model.How do you access this printed circuit.I would be most grateful for any info
Regards

goldie Feb 24th, 2006 16:56

its actually very easy to get at,Prize out the 2 small trims around clock & instrument dimmer knobs.
undo the 2 screws under these & carefully pull Instrument panel towards steering wheel & out.
It can be fairly tight but it will come out.
Disconect the wiring plugs from back of panel,They can only go back in to the correct sockets so you dont really need to mark them
Undo the screws holding front of instruments to rear.There are 2 lengths so make sure they go back in correct places.
Seperate the 2 parts then undo small nut holding fuel guage in & unplug it.
You will see the 3 long pins that plug in on back of guage,Carefully solder thin insulated wire to fuel guage where pins are soldered to board,best to use 3 colores to avoid mistakes..
Carefully plug guage back in while positioning wires so they are clear of any working parts.Replace the nut then solder other end of wires to back of main flexible pcb to match where pins from guage have plugged in.Be carefull not to apply to much heat here.
Reasemble but i found that this was a good time to clean inside of instrument glass & check/replace lighting & warning light bulbs.
Put panel back in.
Thats it.
Cheers
Dave