Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 - CD Player Won't Eject Discs. Can You Just Swap It? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291479)

Jerry1975 Feb 5th, 2019 20:16

C30 - CD Player Won't Eject Discs. Can You Just Swap It?

Hi guys,

My CD player often won't eject discs and I get the message saying 'CD deck error'

There are plenty of 2nd hand ones on eBay and I intend to just swap it but I've heard that each stereo is somehow coded to the car.

Am I knackered or can the deck just be swapped out?

Cheers,

J:)

LizardOfBodom Feb 6th, 2019 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry1975 (Post 2492627)
Hi guys,

My CD player often won't eject discs and I get the message saying 'CD deck error'

There are plenty of 2nd hand ones on eBay and I intend to just swap it but I've heard that each stereo is somehow coded to the car.

Am I knackered or can the deck just be swapped out?

Cheers,

Hi
yes, radio unit is coded to VIN so cant be swapped BUT actual CD changer/mechanism is not. It is just a mechanical component connected to unit and to my knowledge - can be swapped without issue.
If someone else can confirm this, just to be certain?

blacklab Feb 6th, 2019 20:09

Ah, the dreaded ‘deck error!’
If it’s the 6 multichanger then it’s likely to be the collapsed spindle which happened to mine. Took it out and sent it to a guy in Ipswich, Marcel. I presume he’s still going as it was a few years ago.
I recall someone on this forum took out the coded gubbins and transfered it to another unit with a bit of soldering.
Good luck.

Jerry1975 Feb 6th, 2019 22:56

As ever, thanks for the responses guys :D

As far as I know it's not a CD multichanger with my car just being the basic 'S' model.

I was hoping that it was just a straight swap of the CD mechanism, but strangely a lot of the units for sale on eBay say they need coding or reprogramming in order to work.

Do they somehow need to be matched up?

blacklab Feb 7th, 2019 21:08

Could be worth checking with a dealer, it’s only a phone call as I guess they would have to do the coding but would they do it to something you’ve bought from eBay? I have my doubts.
I recall some folk have taken them apart and transferred the coded part to the secondhand disc unit.

SwissXC90 Feb 8th, 2019 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry1975 (Post 2493071)
As far as I know it's not a CD multichanger with my car just being the basic 'S' model.

I was hoping that it was just a straight swap of the CD mechanism, but strangely a lot of the units for sale on eBay say they need coding or reprogramming in order to work.

Do they somehow need to be matched up?

You only need to code the CH player/changer if you swap the entire physical unit including electronics.

If you purchase a 2nd hand one, and just swap the CD player/changer mechanism, but leave your electronics in place, then no coding required.

Jerry1975 Feb 17th, 2019 20:58

Hi there,

Well my 2nd hand CD unit turned up this weekend and I swapped it over easy enough and mechanically all is now fine :D

Weirdly though, the CD will only play for around 12 seconds and then it just resets itself and powers down (The same as if I'd pressed the power button). Once it's done this it will only turn on again if I take the ignition key out, put it back in again and turn on?!

Once I have done that I can enjoy another 12 seconds of music before it shuts down again.

Has anyone else had this? Does this suggest that it needs some sort of code (even though there isn't any kind of prompt to enter one) or have I got another problem??

As ever, any help would be much appreciated.

Thassos Feb 17th, 2019 22:38

cd eject

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Jerry,

Did you swap the whole audio unit?, or just the CD mechanism.. I also was trying to fix a C30 audio recently that also wouldn't eject the CD, I would suggest just taking the cd mechanism from your replacement, and fitting it to the original audio electronics from your car.. It only uses a simple zip connector, to release the end furthest from the CD unit, gently prise the sides of the connectors bar using a watchmakers or small screwdriver, then the flat cable comes out easily (if your not familiar with zif conns).

The actual issue on the cd mech i looked at was a rubber outer tube over a metal rod which is turns to eject the CD, but for some reason the rubber tube doesn't grip the bar and hence doesn't turn when the motor spins it.. but im pretty confident you can just swap the mechanism as its a generic cd reader module not made for volvo i suspect. Attached some pics incase of help

Jerry1975 Feb 18th, 2019 11:03

Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

I literally just swapped the entire CD player unit for the replacement one and then connected it all up to the existing LCD display and cables etc.

I didn't dismantle the CD player at all, though I guess I might have to :angry_smile:

I really cannot see the point in somehow "coding" the actual CD transport so it pairs up with the head unit. What were Volvo thinking?

iainmd Feb 18th, 2019 13:10

It's shutting down due to MOST security built into the fibre optic circuitry. It detects a part of the system that's not coded to your car and shuts the system down

As mentioned before, you need to open each unit and transfer the mechanical elements of the donor unit to your unit keeping the electronics from your old one.