Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rear Window camera (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295609)

AB-UK Jun 11th, 2019 10:16

Rear Window camera

Since I found myself in possession of a spare NextBase dashcam, I thought I'd fit it to the rear window of my XC90.
I bought a hard-wire kit to attach the power cable to a fuse, but it seems all of the fuses in the rear quarter are ON all of the time.
I would prefer the camera to operate only when the engine is running, as the front one does since it's plugged into the lighter socket.

Have I missed something? Is there supposed to be fuse I can attach it to in the rear?

If not, my alternate idea was to crimp the power cable to one the rear driving lights, which only light up when the engine is running.

Clearly I am no auto electrician, so would anyone with such knowledge tell me if this would not be advised please?

SwissXC90 Jun 11th, 2019 12:38

Use the trailer power which is switched
Otherwise lights will be fine. And much easier - use the number plate lights. Dash cams use very little power

nu11eaf Jun 12th, 2019 12:17

I am not sure about the newer cars but when I tapped in to my lights wiring on my older volvo 240 the bulb failure dash light came on permanently, as it upset the voltage signal, the low wattage of a dashcam might not upset this system but I would not tap in to existing wiring. Much better to find a fused supply.

AB-UK Jun 12th, 2019 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2527718)
Use the trailer power which is switched
Otherwise lights will be fine. And much easier - use the number plate lights. Dash cams use very little power

There are two with "trailer" in their descriptions.

I'm pretty sure we tried all of the fuses, and when the dashcam was connected to each one it received power even whilst the ignition was turned off.

Since you say there should be a powered-off connection I'll try them all again - when it stops raining soemtime.

SwissXC90 Jun 12th, 2019 21:45

Use the wiring diagram to avoid guesswork

Peachey169 Jun 13th, 2019 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2528142)
There are two with "trailer" in their descriptions.

I'm pretty sure we tried all of the fuses, and when the dashcam was connected to each one it received power even whilst the ignition was turned off.

Since you say there should be a powered-off connection I'll try them all again - when it stops raining soemtime.

There is always the 12V / lighter socket in the boot too

SwissXC90 Jun 13th, 2019 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peachey169 (Post 2528396)
There is always the 12V / lighter socket in the boot too

Not a good idea, that is a permanent power source. It never switches off.

Peachey169 Jun 13th, 2019 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2528426)
Not a good idea, that is a permanent power source. It never switches off.

Good to know - ignore my previous idea!

AB-UK Jun 25th, 2019 23:24

So, finally found a fuse which isn't constantly live.

Slot 20: Trailer wiring (15-feed) -> 20A Fuse (as SwissXC90 suggested)
This slot appears dead, but becomes live once the engine is running.

hodge911 Jun 30th, 2019 09:49

exactly what I wanted to know