Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Torque steer (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339007)

diddly12345 Mar 26th, 2024 19:57

Torque steer

Evening folks, not long had the V60 B5 bought from volvo selekt, had a few issues and a couple still not resolved, Torque steer , wow not seen something like that since the 80s in a cherry turbo, doesn't seem right, also vibration around 75 ish..not the wheel balancing.
Have queried the car doing 20k in a year then seemed to do only 100miles the following, something doesn't sit right with me..
Anyone same experiences..
Thank you

rhd443 Mar 26th, 2024 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddly12345 (Post 2942447)
Evening folks, not long had the V60 B5 bought from volvo selekt, had a few issues and a couple still not resolved, Torque steer , wow not seen something like that since the 80s in a cherry turbo, doesn't seem right, also vibration around 75 ish..not the wheel balancing.
Have queried the car doing 20k in a year then seemed to do only 100miles the following, something doesn't sit right with me..
Anyone same experiences..
Thank you

What brand of tyres are on the front, and how even are they worn?

Do you get the same vibration feel stronger when braking lightly or heavily at high speed?

diddly12345 Mar 26th, 2024 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhd443 (Post 2942450)
What brand of tyres are on the front, and how even are they worn?

Do you get the same vibration feel stronger when braking lightly or heavily at high speed?

Hi, thanks for the reply, one is original michelin other unknown brand, doesn't happen while braking, seems to come and go sometimes hardly noticeable but others noticeable but always around 75 ish... its odd. I know warped discs etc or wheel balancing but feels different.. obviously volvo saying it's fine.

neilgorin Mar 26th, 2024 20:29

I would still find an independent tyre depot and ask them to check the balancing - if you have a STS (Stapleton's) depot somewhere near you they have a machine that balances at high speed, most tyre machines only balance at the equivalent of 65mph, STS go to something like 90.

I had a wheel on my last V60 that would always cause a motorway speed vibration on the front end but never on the back, everywhere said it was perfectly balanced, but it was found to be very slightly out of true on the right machine.

20k then 100 miles only makes sense if the dealer had it in stock a long time, but that would also point to an out of shape tyre that needs careful balancing if it's sat still for months on end.

rhd443 Mar 26th, 2024 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddly12345 (Post 2942451)
Hi, thanks for the reply, one is original michelin other unknown brand, doesn't happen while braking, seems to come and go sometimes hardly noticeable but others noticeable but always around 75 ish... its odd. I know warped discs etc or wheel balancing but feels different.. obviously volvo saying it's fine.

Yeah get another opinion, it could be a driveshaft imbalance, but likely the tyres or a wheel itself.

If you were willing, you could rotate front wheels to the rear to test if anything changes, (easier with two trolley jacks)

diddly12345 Mar 26th, 2024 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhd443 (Post 2942458)
Yeah get another opinion, it could be a driveshaft imbalance, but likely the tyres or a wheel itself.

If you were willing, you could rotate front wheels to the rear to test if anything changes, (easier with two trolley jacks)

Thank you, yeh doesn't seem that it could just be coming from the front but they did rotate the wheels but to no change, suppose if it is a tyre or tyres it wouldn't fix the problem..
Any idea on the torque steer? Can crappy tyres cause this? If didn't hold the starting it would pull across the road.. you feel it pulling to the R but when lift off sits back down..
Really like the car but seriously thinking of returning and changing for a T6 or Xc60

Mad Malc Mar 26th, 2024 20:50

You have one grippy tyre fighting one not so grippy, the result is going to be what you are experiencing. Ideally you need the same tyres all round and at least matching tyres on each axle.

diddly12345 Mar 26th, 2024 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Malc (Post 2942462)
You have one grippy tyre fighting one not so grippy, the result is going to be what you are experiencing. Ideally you need the same tyres all round and at least matching tyres on each axle.

Ok, I suppose that would make sense, although the crappy tyre is side pulling on but could be gripper than the michelin who knows.
Thanks for the reply

rhd443 Mar 26th, 2024 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddly12345 (Post 2942461)
Thank you, yeh doesn't seem that it could just be coming from the front but they did rotate the wheels but to no change, suppose if it is a tyre or tyres it wouldn't fix the problem..
Any idea on the torque steer? Can crappy tyres cause this? If didn't hold the starting it would pull across the road.. you feel it pulling to the R but when lift off sits back down..
Really like the car but seriously thinking of returning and changing for a T6 or Xc60

It doesn't sound right that for sure, I have a T8 and although have rear assistance, it's very front biased and when driven on it's limits, it can be a bit snatchy up front (but rare).

Possibly at this point, request a drive in another to see how it feels to you 🙂

diddly12345 Mar 26th, 2024 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhd443 (Post 2942469)
It doesn't sound right that for sure, I have a T8 and although have rear assistance, it's very front biased and when driven on it's limits, it can be a bit snatchy up front (but rare).

Possibly at this point, request a drive in another to see how it feels to you 🙂

Yeh I think that's what I'll do , they have a T6 in stock so I'll ask for a drive and see if any difference in the way it drives.
Thanks for your help