Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Wheel Nut sending me NUTS!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=70447)

toolbah Apr 13th, 2009 09:42

Wheel Nut sending me NUTS!!

Went to change my steering rack rubber bellows yesterday and discovered I'm unable to loosen off my sercure locking wheel nut. This is due to the locking pattern on the nut, being rounded off :censored::realmad:.
Any suggestions would be greatley apperciated, I have thought of TNT but thats a bit extreme LOL.
The car has alloys making it a little more difficult! :broken_heart:

sae70 Apr 13th, 2009 10:46

My local tyre fitting bay have the tools for the job:) Maybe your local tyre bay does tooo:)

You can also buy the special tool to do it your self LINK not cheap though :(

The other option is to belt a suitably sized socket (preferably an inpact one) onto the wheel nut with a large hammer untill it grabs! This can work so long as the security nut is not overtightened ;) This oftem renders the socket bust though :( But if it gets the locking wheel nut off all the merrier :)

Good luck :)

Let us know how you get on?!

Regards

Steven

NI_Volvo_Nut Apr 13th, 2009 11:24

The 850 i bought came without a locking wheel key, i used a 20mm socket, hammered on about 1/2 an inch, a 10" extension bar and a ratchet, dont support the head of the ratchet but using your foot try to loosen the nut, as the socket starts to slide off it tightens on the nut, worked 4 times for me anyway.

sae70 Apr 13th, 2009 14:36

Quote:

The 850 i bought came without a locking wheel key, i used a 20mm socket, hammered on about 1/2 an inch, a 10" extension bar and a ratchet, dont support the head of the ratchet but using your foot try to loosen the nut, as the socket starts to slide off it tightens on the nut, worked 4 times for me anyway.
He's not wrong, its worked for me toooo..........:)

I do alot of off road & green lane driving so the wheels on my Vitara are always on and off! I've now tried three different styles of locking wheel nuts but they always end up fubard with above average use and the bashed on socket is always worth a punt in my opinion :) Probally to late for you now but with this in mind I'm always carefull not to over tighten my locking wheel nuts!

Regards

Steven

toolbah Apr 13th, 2009 19:02

Thank peeps for your advice, will try my local tyre place if not the local council MOT workshop. I will let you know how I get on. :thumbs_up:

billynomates Apr 14th, 2009 09:48

I had exactally the same problem, my local tyre fitter sheared off my locking wheel nut tool with an airgun.

The tools shown in the link above do not work because Volvo have fitted a rotating steel ring in the back edge of the wheel nut so the tool has nothing to grip onto.

I ended up having to have bolts welded on, luckly the tyre fitter had to pay as it cost £70.

DieselDoNicely Apr 16th, 2009 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolbah (Post 491736)
Went to change my steering rack rubber bellows yesterday and discovered I'm unable to loosen off my sercure locking wheel nut. This is due to the locking pattern on the nut, being rounded off :censored::realmad:.
Any suggestions would be greatley apperciated, I have thought of TNT but thats a bit extreme LOL.
The car has alloys making it a little more difficult! :broken_heart:

Drill the thing out, you need three drill bits to take the head off, McGard sent me a kit to do it which I had to return at my cost to Germany. The bits need to be better than cobalt, cobalt wont touch it. Mine was on so tight two new McGard sockets snapped trying. Welding a bit on the end didnt work either.

The bits cost about £40 each if I remember rightly.

DDN

beebadoo Apr 17th, 2009 09:33

Hello,

I have had this problem with two of my locking wheel nuts, the first I drilled out, which was a complete ball ache..

For the second one, I tried hammering on a 18/19mm socket but it would just slip, so I applied a generous about of that metal weld glue stuff, hammered the socket back on and left it over night. Hey presto, next morning got it off without any trouble. (Although mine were ridiculously tight - I really had to try hard with a 3 foot breaker bar!)

Cheers

Andrew

sae70 Apr 17th, 2009 11:10

Quote:

I applied a generous about of that metal weld glue stuff, hammered the socket back on and left it over night
Nice one :) I'll have to remember that one:)

I bet everyone that reads this thread will be undoing and retightening the locking wheek nuts, but only to the correct tourque :) This is why I make sure the ones on my 4x4 are only tight enough to stop someone theiving the wheels ;) Been caught out a number of times now and infact have one that is currently a bit on the dodgy side :(

Dynosaur Apr 17th, 2009 11:21

I always take my lockers off before taking it to a tyre shop.