Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   744 for sale. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284029)

Prufrock Jul 13th, 2018 10:09

744 for sale.

Rare early car -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183321915664?ul_noapp=true

has many expensive issues that'll need rectifying if you want to make it a decent example.

J.

N.B it's a £500.00 car (at most).

Ross Slaughter Jul 13th, 2018 19:14

Has an ambient temp guage, which I guess is pretty rare?

Prufrock Jul 13th, 2018 19:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Slaughter (Post 2424915)
Has an ambient temp guage, which I guess is pretty rare?

The ambient temp guage is very rare Ross, my 1986 745 has one*, and I managed to score a NoS one a few years ago.

J.

*factory fitted.

Ross Slaughter Jul 16th, 2018 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2424923)
The ambient temp guage is very rare Ross, my 1986 745 has one*, and I managed to score a NoS one a few years ago.

J.

*factory fitted.

I email the seller and sadly the guage does not work on this particular car :(

Laird Scooby Jul 21st, 2018 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2424700)
has many expensive issues that'll need rectifying if you want to make it a decent example.

Such as Jon?

Prufrock Jul 21st, 2018 13:20

I appreciate this is subjective, but-

1. Bonnet needs paint and the nsf wing looks like it does
2. Osf rear arch doesn't look at all good (is nsf one as bad ?)
3. Needs headlining-they all do unless it's been done-more difficult with s/r
4. Many minor dents around rear end
5. Seats need some attention (conditioner and elbow grease).

Has a cambelt sticker but when was it done ? In it's favour...an '86 C plate car is rare, a GLT rarer.

That's what I can tell from the photos.

J.

Laird Scooby Jul 21st, 2018 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2427866)
I appreciate this is subjective, but-

1. Bonnet needs paint and the nsf wing looks like it does
2. Osf rear arch doesn't look at all good (is nsf one as bad ?)
3. Needs headlining-they all do unless it's been done-more difficult with s/r
4. Many minor dents around rear end
5. Seats need some attention (conditioner and elbow grease).

Has a cambelt sticker but when was it done ? In it's favout...an '86 C plate car is rare, a GLT rarer.

That's what I can tell from the photos.

J.

Thanks Jon, was wondering what your thoughts were. My views on what you've said :

1 & 2. Yes the lacquer has gone on the bonnet and the N/S/F wing, all the arches look a bit "odd", almost as if someone had previously fitted those chrome arch covers

3. "The headlining is also all still up as it should be" - that's what the seller says about the headlining. Looking at the photos and your comment, i'd have to say i agree with you, it looks line someone has pinned it up at the back end.

4. I only spotted one, just uner the O/S rear cluster. There appears to be a collection of scuffs/scratches along the rear panel just above the bumper though.

5. Renewing the cam belt is wise on any car unless you know it's been done. It's only an hours work plus the cost of a cam belt and given the mileage and age of the car and using 5 years/60k miles as a replacement interval (i believe that's correct but can't remember exactly) then it's either been done very recently or is due imminently.

With that in mind, i'd have no worries about buying the car, a bit of nice, genuine patina and changing the cam belt shouldn't put someone off running a classic as an everyday car, or even attending to these things over a period as a "rolling restoration".

HOWEVER!!!!!

What bothers me more are the following :

1. Signs of corrosion on the inner wings where they go between the suspension turrets and the front of the car. - Could mean a fair bit of welding in that area.

2. The earth lead going over the top of the cam cover instead of strapped to the cross member as it should be - it's obviously had some electrical problems and if that is the standard of electrical repair, i'd be extremely worried!

3. The fuel filter looks more white than silver, suggesting it's been there a very long time! In turn, that suggests a general lack of maintenance over the years so a lot of preventative maintenance would be needed as a matter of urgency.

On the bright side, the fuel gauge works! ;) :D

Prufrock Jul 21st, 2018 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2427874)
Thanks Jon, was wondering what your thoughts were. My views on what you've said :

1 & 2. Yes the lacquer has gone on the bonnet and the N/S/F wing, all the arches look a bit "odd", almost as if someone had previously fitted those chrome arch covers

3. "The headlining is also all still up as it should be" - that's what the seller says about the headlining. Looking at the photos and your comment, i'd have to say i agree with you, it looks line someone has pinned it up at the back end.

4. I only spotted one, just uner the O/S rear cluster. There appears to be a collection of scuffs/scratches along the rear panel just above the bumper though.

5. Renewing the cam belt is wise on any car unless you know it's been done. It's only an hours work plus the cost of a cam belt and given the mileage and age of the car and using 5 years/60k miles as a replacement interval (i believe that's correct but can't remember exactly) then it's either been done very recently or is due imminently.

With that in mind, i'd have no worries about buying the car, a bit of nice, genuine patina and changing the cam belt shouldn't put someone off running a classic as an everyday car, or even attending to these things over a period as a "rolling restoration".

HOWEVER!!!!!

What bothers me more are the following :

1. Signs of corrosion on the inner wings where they go between the suspension turrets and the front of the car. - Could mean a fair bit of welding in that area.

2. The earth lead going over the top of the cam cover instead of strapped to the cross member as it should be - it's obviously had some electrical problems and if that is the standard of electrical repair, i'd be extremely worried!

3. The fuel filter looks more white than silver, suggesting it's been there a very long time! In turn, that suggests a general lack of maintenance over the years so a lot of preventative maintenance would be needed as a matter of urgency.

On the bright side, the fuel gauge works! ;) :D

Obviously any appraisal is subjective unless you are appraising cars professionally then it has to be as objective as possible. My comments are also based on the appetite many have for spending money on 740s (there's little evidence for this, they are yet to become viable).

As for patina, I discuss this a great deal on another (not car) forum, patina is all well and good on a fine piece of furniture but this car, for me, doesn't have patina - I don't consider the paint problems patina nor the rusty arches. Plus there's little evidence of provenance, which is a shame as the GLT was only a 1985 and 1986 model year car - the exterior would mean i would walk away, plus I have a 744 !

J.

Laird Scooby Jul 21st, 2018 14:29

What all this has demonstrated Jon is that both of us have looked at the same car and come up with different reasons not to buy it. This has been done because of experience we have both gained over the years and evidence we know to be true, or very likely true given certain clues (eg the corrosion on the inner wings) so while it is subjective, it could also be objective.

Any potential purchaser would likely get a very good car and depending on how they viewed it, would either have a good base for a concours project (£££££ needed), a good, passable, everyday classic with a bit of urgent routine maintenance followed by a proper routine maintenance program or (god forbid) they buy it and just run it as is until either it or they fall off their perches.

I'm sure i've seen later GLTs than this but regardless of that, it's an early one and (for me at least) has the desirable auto-box, it's in original condition (hasn't had any paint work done yet), not modified (except for that aftermarket stereo) and is therefore desirable to certain people who want exactly that.

If i had the room, i'd probably put in a starting price bid just because i've never owned a 744 but i don't have the room so i won't - so there! :tounge_smile:

Someone will probably buy it and cherish it, maybe even sort the bodywork out, i hope it gets a good home anyway! ;) :D

Prufrock Jul 21st, 2018 14:50

Being pedantic, or accurate - your choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2427883)
I'm sure i've seen later GLTs than this but regardless of that...

You haven't Dave.

For the record, this - style - GLT was only available for the 1985 (the 740 launch year) and 1986 model years.

The later GLT had the 900 front end and was a completely different car.

J.