Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   "Low Beam Bulb Failure" Factory Bi Xenon Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258572)

kwills Oct 30th, 2016 12:06

"Low Beam Bulb Failure" Factory Bi Xenon Issues

Before I take a sledge hammer to the lights I thought I would check here for any info first..
Getting the low beam failure warning on the dash when the drivers side xenon light drops out. I can't seem to figure this out. The xenon kit is Volvo standard kit. I have replaced the bulbs with new D2S bulbs with no joy. The lights will run for a few minutes and then knock off again. If I knock the lights to sidelights then back to on this will work but it's very intermittent.. I have cleaned all the contact points and made sure the connectors are in place.. all looks well.

Any suggestions?

MacV50 Oct 30th, 2016 14:46

Sounds more like an issue with the electronics rather than the bulb especially since you've changed the bulb. Have you tried swapping the ballasts from one side to the other to see if the problem follows it?

BJB Oct 30th, 2016 18:02

My Hid's did the same thing and it was the ballast . When I looked into it, it was suggested that there was a Master and a Slave ballast( 06 V50). Both my lights were playing up, N/S more than the O/S, so I removed the plastic drivers inner wing and checked the connections, took the number off it. It was still playing up, so reluctantly ordered a New one (eBay £85) and fitted it to O/S thinking it was a Master, WRONG, N/S still not right. Removed N/S inner wing, guess what, SAME Number. The other (old) ballast is still occasionally playing up, so might have to get another ballast. Mod kit now on ebay £35........

kwills Oct 30th, 2016 22:03

Thanks for your input. I could change the ballasts over to see if that makes a difference.

BJB : Do you have a link for the mod kit? I think I need to give the ballasts a bit more attention. My wife uses the car as she works nights so for the sake of my poor ears it's in my best interest to get this resolved sooner than later hehe.

BJB Oct 31st, 2016 08:26

I find that they drop out after 2-3 minutes, but alright when reselected. Being DRL, they haven't done too bad for 10yr 100k. Can't do a proper link but (380321160225). These are actually finishing today, but no doubt will be relisted. Worth asking if leads are compatible without any alterations. ..

kwills Oct 31st, 2016 14:20

Thanks for sending the Id number across.. just had a good look at the them. They look nothing like the ones I have as standard. The ones I have are like a block that twist on the back end of the bulb but I can see how these can fit. I will ask them about the wiring alterations as it looks like I will need to snip the positive and negative to wire up to the spades on this unit. Mine drop out after 2-3 minutes as well, thanks again!

BJB Oct 31st, 2016 16:23

Hi. They aren't ballasts, they are IGNITORS. The BALLASTS are tucked under the wings. You need to remove the Plastic sections, and you will find them close to where you would expect to see the headlight unit, BUT under the Wheel arch.

iantowil Oct 31st, 2016 18:40

I had the ballast fail on my C70 - under the passenger front wing on mine. Switched the igniters and bulbs and same side always failed, so ballast was next on the list. Volvo replaced FoC, but the car was only just out of warranty. Anyway, problem solved with the ballast change.

Nearly forgot. New bulb seemed to solve the problem, but problem returned after 3 months and then did the ballast change.

kwills Oct 31st, 2016 19:36

Like a numpty, I have been checking the connection between the igniter and bulb and scratching my head as to why I can't solve the issue. I know the bulbs are fine. In process of elimination I will switch the igniters then switch the ballasts. Thanks for all your help, this has been driving me mad!

BJB Oct 31st, 2016 20:02

After undoing the 3 torx screws, try and prise the ballast down square to the holder as possible . It has a tight seal and less likely to damage the pins. Hope you cure the problem quickly.....