Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Bleeding fuel line 2.0 d V70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325566)

Vagabondrobb May 21st, 2022 17:53

Bleeding fuel line 2.0 d V70

Hi guys,

So after refitting engine on my 2.0 d V70 I can’t seem to bleed the fuel lines… after much sucking with a turkey baster on the return line at front of engine (fuel filter is located next to fuel tank at rear and difficult to access) I seem to have got rid of quite a few pockets of air. She will fire up with ez start and I can see fuel running through supply line into pump with sporadic bubbles, but once I stop spraying engine dies. I’ve been at it for quite a few hours. Do I need to persevere? Or could there be something else at play that I’m not considering? I’ve read a few other methods on threads, such as pump on fuel filter side, but as I say very difficult to access on my 2009 v70. I’m going to try compressor in fuel tank but can’t seem to find the thing.

I’ve also noticed there’s a valve (like a tyre valve) on the feed line just before it connects to pump on right hand side of engine. Anyone know what this is for? Assuming it’s for connecting a vacuum pump.

passenger May 21st, 2022 22:17

Try

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

T5R92011 May 24th, 2022 20:02

Use a priming bulb / hand vaccum pump on the green return line connector... Squeeze the priming bulb till hard, or if you are using a hand vaccum pump (mityvac etc) then keep pumping until you have built up some vaccum pressure on the gauge.

Then have an assistant crank the engine over until it fires (or do it yourself), then quicky disconnect your primer and reconnect the fuel lines.

KEEP THE REVS UP after starting!

Repeat until engine stays running.

Vagabondrobb May 25th, 2022 10:14

Thanks guys. When I squeeze the hand vacuum pump it just stays compressed. If I turn the engine over it very slowly decompresses, but I can't "pump" it - doesn't seem to have enough force to draw anything through, at least not straight away. Ive managed to draw quite a bit of fuel through by running the engine with some easy start, but there is zero indication it wants to do anything without it. There does seem to be a pretty constant supply of bubbles in the return line, so maybe air is getting in somewhere....

Arrrrrggghhh

Tannaton May 25th, 2022 15:31

I always use a handheld vacuum pump like a mity vac - about £20 on ebay. I've never had any luck with priming bulbs, then only seem to draw once fuel is in them.

If you still struggle to suck fuel through the pump, try drawing it from the pump feed initially.

Tip : raise the rear of the car as high as you can on jacks/axle stands so the height difference between the tank and the pump is reduced... better if fuel tank is full as well.

Vagabondrobb May 26th, 2022 20:34

Thanks for the suggestions guys. After becoming convinced that Id gone above and beyond with bleeding the lines I started thinking about other causes.

Turns out it was a siezed fuel regulation solenoid on the fuel pump. I removed the one that came on the "new" engine and didn't look too healthy. Replaced with the old one and hey presto, fired up straight away.

Cheers

passenger May 26th, 2022 21:48

Thanks for feedback

You have some pics?

Vagabondrobb May 27th, 2022 18:16

3 Attachment(s)
Sure can...

Fuel pump located at the rear right of engine. The pump in the pic is from the old engine - you don't have to remove this (its almost impossible to remove
anyway as one of three bolts is obstructed by the air intake that bolts to the back of the engine and cannot be moved )The valve isn't too difficult to remove in situ (two allen key bolts), but removing the battery box and air filter box etc makes life easier!