Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) General : 2009 facelift on a 2005? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=62347)

hamood_3arad Dec 3rd, 2008 16:09

2009 facelift on a 2005?

2 Attachment(s)
Does the new facelifted s40 (2009>) rear bumper and tail lights fit the previous model s40 (i.e. 2005), as in by just removing the old and putting the new?

Would be great to know if the front end is possible as well!

Thanks!

Fast Reg Dec 3rd, 2008 16:42

Personally I prefer the look of the pre-facelift model, but each to their own.

Let us know how you get on.

hamood_3arad Dec 3rd, 2008 19:02

I beg to differ, the new taillights are sweet, maybe not the way they look but what they actually do.

The tail lights detect the style of braking and flicker agressively if braking hard, the hazard lights automatically comes on once you reach 5 mph after such braking. Living in a crowded and agressive city where accidents happen all the time this is a safety feature I don't mind having if I can.

its not always about the looks ;)

HeliFella Dec 3rd, 2008 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamood_3arad (Post 431739)
I beg to differ, the new taillights are sweet, maybe not the way they look but what they actually do.

The tail lights detect the style of braking and flicker agressively if braking hard, the hazard lights automatically comes on once you reach 5 mph after such braking. Living in a crowded and agressive city where accidents happen all the time this is a safety feature I don't mind having if I can.

its not always about the looks ;)

I find myself breaking at the last min to make mine strobe (when safe to do so) Cos I followed a muppet in an S40 coming back home with my new car and his lights were strobing due to short distance vison of said driver and panic breaking.

GraemeS Dec 4th, 2008 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamood_3arad (Post 431739)

I think you'll find it's not the light units that do the clever stuff. Changing them won't make them suddenly light up the way you want.

hamood_3arad Dec 4th, 2008 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraemeS (Post 431968)
I think you'll find it's not the light units that do the clever stuff. Changing them won't make them suddenly light up the way you want.

You're right, but the first step is to see if the lights fit, I will deal with the rest as it comes.. :)

ch70 Dec 4th, 2008 22:26

wouldnt of thought you would need to replace the lights, just the electronics or a software upgrade possibly. old shape definatly look better tho.

hamood_3arad Dec 6th, 2008 12:42

u guys r hilarious, the point is to know if it fits or not.

It shouldn't matter if the lights or bumper or whatever looks better or not because thats personal preference.

hamood_3arad Dec 6th, 2008 15:48

ok.. I got a call back from the dealership today and they said that the bumper and lights do not fit the pre-facelift S40 after reviewing the technical diagrams..

saturnuranus Dec 6th, 2008 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamood_3arad (Post 432692)
ok.. I got a call back from the dealership today and they said that the bumper and lights do not fit the pre-facelift S40 after reviewing the technical diagrams..

They went to the trouble of looking? I want your dealer in Birmingham! How about attempting to replicate the clever behaviour of the rear lights using your existing stuff? It's not like changing the lenses would've made it any easier ;)