Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: In Tank Fuel Pump (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282785)

volvobusman Jun 9th, 2018 21:32

In Tank Fuel Pump

Hello, my 240 has a jiggered in tank pump and needs replacing, is there a modification to run on just one pump or does it need both ?, cheers Andy

Clan Jun 9th, 2018 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvobusman (Post 2412564)
Hello, my 240 has a jiggered in tank pump and needs replacing, is there a modification to run on just one pump or does it need both ?, cheers Andy

it needs both, especially in hot weather , the pump under the car is no good at sucking ...

Antz Jun 11th, 2018 11:19

Retro fit a Walbro 255 in tank pump which fits easily with only minor modification (2 wires and shortening of the sender unit main feed pipe a bit) then pipe between the external pump and bin it.

A single Walbro 255 is a common upgrade for Japanese cars running 300+ BHP so it flows way more than enough for a standard redblock.

Buy a genuine Walbro 255 from Conceptua Tuning (google them), its about £87 for one. I have used eBay fakes before though and they have held up OK. Not sure on the longevity of them though.

The twin pump thing from Volvo is ancient, expensive and over complicated. Just convert to a big single in tank and it'll long outlast the car.

Clifford Pope Jun 11th, 2018 11:58

Doesn't the exterior pump incorporate a filter and a pressure reservoir?
Are they still needed with the new in-tank pump?

Antz Jun 11th, 2018 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope (Post 2412972)
Doesn't the exterior pump incorporate a filter and a pressure reservoir?
Are they still needed with the new in-tank pump?

The LH ones have a filter with the external pump whereas K-Jet has it on the bulkhead. You can just pipe in a universal filter that'll do the job and replace those periodically.

Forgot to mention that.

Done many miles in my 240's all using Walbro 255's or AEM50-1000 in tank pumps with an aftermarket filter. Not had a single problem.

volvo always Jun 11th, 2018 15:01

I never got round to replacing my in tank pump on my auto GLT estate.

The wining noise of pump under car when under a 1/3rd full still does it. I have had no driving issues over 9 years and 74,000miles!

I probably won't ever replace it as car used as a shed even though fully road legal. I start it once a week and take it for a drive to get the oil fully hot and tyres to prevent flat spots.

Cars do suffer for not being used. Will probably need new disks and pads for MOT in October as going very rusty even though not that old. I don't use handbrake to prevent it seizing on.

May end up selling it, as needs some a small patch welding on passenger door sill, heater fan not working, engine bay oily mist, needs breather cleaned. Slight leak from matrix pipe or matrix. Rusty arches, general good clean and tlc. Done 234,000 and auto so guess not worth much.

James :thumbs_up:

liamcafs Jun 11th, 2018 15:29

I replaced my intank pump for an AEM one and deleted the pump under the car.

Works fine

volvobusman Jun 12th, 2018 18:17

I have bought another in tank pump, so will continue with 2 pumps for now, thanks everyone for their replies, something to maybe think about when the time arises, cheers Andy