Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Alternator belt failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295307)

haynesbookoflies Jun 1st, 2019 11:50

Alternator belt failure

Car just had major service including cambelt rollers tensioners at Volvo dealer.

Four weeks later alternator belt failure with cambelt apparently jumped.

Huge bill coming. Dealer is stating it’s the alternator that has failed not their work.

Has anyone else had their alternator fail in such a way?

Gonna get an independent in spection as this will make the car a write off

Grrrrrr

Clan Jun 1st, 2019 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by haynesbookoflies (Post 2525442)
Car just had major service including cambelt rollers tensioners at Volvo dealer.

Four weeks later alternator belt failure with cambelt apparently jumped.

Huge bill coming. Dealer is stating it’s the alternator that has failed not their work.

Has anyone else had their alternator fail in such a way?

Gonna get an independent in spection as this will make the car a write off

Grrrrrr

you need an independent inspection by someone else to determine the cause , I have never heard of an alternator causing a brand new Aux belt to fail .

big square car Jun 1st, 2019 15:45

In your earlier post you asked if the interval is 72000 miles. If this is the same engine as in V70 etc it is not! It is 54000. Sadly you will have wrecked your engine as a result...this is an Achille's heal in these engines

haynesbookoflies Jun 1st, 2019 15:47

👍🏿

Going to book an rac inspection. I’m going to pop in and Get them to show me the alternator. Somethings not right, when I originally asked what was booked out for the job parts wise he said he couldn’t see a tensioner booked out grrr

haynesbookoflies Jun 1st, 2019 17:55

Nope not my fault

Quote:

Originally Posted by big square car (Post 2525472)
In your earlier post you asked if the interval is 72000 miles. If this is the same engine as in V70 etc it is not! It is 54000. Sadly you will have wrecked your engine as a result...this is an Achille's heal in these engines

I asked the interval to confirm what the dealer has said. This car has FULL Volvo service history and has always been covered by a service pack from new. So I’m not taking the blame. The aux belt and tensioners are due with the cambelt at 108k d5204t6. If they were due when you stated Volvo should of done them as they are included in the service pack we paid for.
And if you read the post the engine had the tensioners and both belts changed four weeks before the failure.
So nope I’ve not wrecked my engine dude. I find it far to coincidental that work was carried out so close to this issue.

haynesbookoflies Jun 1st, 2019 17:56

Quote:

Yours will be the 2.4 D5 this is a 5 cylinder 2 litre d3.

harveys Jun 1st, 2019 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by haynesbookoflies (Post 2525488)
Yours will be the 2.4 D5 this is a 5 cylinder 2 litre d3.

So 2 aux belts then ?

haynesbookoflies Jun 1st, 2019 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by harveys (Post 2525499)
So 2 aux belts then ?

Yeh two belts both were changed. But it’s the inner alternator belt that’s gone.

Clan Jun 1st, 2019 22:14

Quote:

The V50 , S40 , C70, C30 range with this engine has 2 independent aux belts and tesnsioners , they are not changed at 54000 ...

big square car Jun 2nd, 2019 10:03

Thanks, didn't know that these engines were different. I assumed that they were all the same.