Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 G/box : Clutch issues?? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261944)

DavieC Jan 9th, 2017 21:29

Clutch issues??

Since the start of the colder weather I have noticed that my 2007 V50 T5 has started making a slight whining like noise when the engine is started from cold.

This noise lasts or seems to until the car has warmed. If I press the clutch pedal in the noise stops. The noise increases as the revs of the engine increase.

There has been no change in the clutch. I have not noticed any slippage or change in the bite point.

Would I be right in thinking it may be related to the release bearing?

If so how quickly should I be thinking about getting this looked at? Obviously I'm aware that I'd be as well doing he clutch if and when the time comes but am thinking about going down the Focus RS clutch route.

domhart10 Jan 10th, 2017 11:57

.... I noticed this on my S40 T5 a while ago and same as you, when pressing clutch the noise disappeared. I didnt think much of it and the noise has just disappeared for me. Hopefully wont come back but same as you I was looking at the RS Clutch but have been told the S60R clutch is the better option?

DavieC Jan 10th, 2017 12:26

Cheers. I'll keep an eye on it fingers crossed the noise on mine goes away too.

DavieC Mar 23rd, 2017 20:44

An update.

I have noticed that there was a slight wetness or very fine leak around the joint between the gearbox and engine block. There was no dripping and all the fluids (brake fluid) appear good.

However today, I went to start the car and on doing so the clutch pedal stuck halfway. It remained like this until I pulled it back to it's normally position. The clutch now feels very light compared to what it did.

The other thing I have noticed is that the car has been suffering a joltiness coming on and off the throttle, coupled with a clunk taking the drive back up, which has gone today.

It's booked in to be looked at next week. Are these symptoms of a slave cylinder fault? Could the clonk be related to an issue with the DMF??

FunkyMelon Jan 31st, 2018 10:17

Sorry to bump this thread but did you ever figure out the cause of this?

Mine has been doing this for a while now when cold, whines/chirps away on and off intermittently, noise will increase with revs and even happens slightly when initially pulling off but will disappear as soon as it's warm.

Originally thought it was oil housing diaphragm or exhaust manifold bolts that might be loose but it's not those.

Nothing on the clutch or the biting point has changed at all.

I'm thinking throw/release bearing or maybe input shaft to gearbox but they usually fail with a noise when the clutch is depressed and quiet at idle, not the opposite of what I'm having.

FunkyMelon Feb 2nd, 2018 09:14

Anybody any ideas? My local Volvo are useless, I wouldn't trust them topping up screen wash!

I'm tempted to just give it to Tim Williams to replace the whole lot with an S60R upgrade but the fact nothing else clutch wise has changed other than this noise I'm a bit reluctant...

StatusRed Feb 2nd, 2018 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyMelon (Post 2364705)
Anybody any ideas? My local Volvo are useless, I wouldn't trust them topping up screen wash!

I'm tempted to just give it to Tim Williams to replace the whole lot with an S60R upgrade but the fact nothing else clutch wise has changed other than this noise I'm a bit reluctant...

Maybe with the clutch pedal feeling a bit strange the first thing I'd do, probably cheapest, would be to get the clutch bled. Worth a shot.

FunkyMelon Feb 2nd, 2018 21:31

It doesn't feel strange though that's what weird about it, feel, biting point, all the same, no slipping either.

I took a video a few weeks back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1k6gTNfyx4

Note - Noise completely goes when clutch is engaged and it goes away once warmed up :thumbs_up: