Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1800: Number Plates (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275069)

VolvoFan Nov 16th, 2017 21:52

Number Plates

What is the correct style of number plate for the front of a 1972 car? Should it be a pressed aluminium plate with a black background with raised silver characters, or an aluminium plate white reflective background and black plastic (separate) characters?

Thanks.

Triple-S Nov 16th, 2017 22:25

My '72 P1800 has pressed metal plates with silver characters which look original but the car did have a photographed record of its rebuild a few years ago (by previous owner). Of course the modern reflective plates can be used on any car - even seen them on veterans on the London - Brighton run, but hardly in keeping!
Upon looking on the 'net some had raised perspex-type digits on that black metal background but check the sizes - earlier cars might have had bigger digits, and even older cars had faded yellow raised digits - not sure on that so best to search the 'net.

P

Tomoose Nov 16th, 2017 22:36

1 Attachment(s)
I found this, does it help?

:thumbs_up:

cassell Nov 17th, 2017 12:17

If I remember correctly vehicles registered before 1st January 1973 are permitted to use black and silver number plates with 3 1/8" digits, either pressed or plastic riveted ones.

On that basis some 'L' registered vehicles are OK if they were registered after 1st August 1972 whereas they need reflective plates if registered from January 1973.

I'm fairly sure it's the 'registered' date that governs this, not the 'manufactured' date, but I may be wrong?

Uplander Nov 17th, 2017 12:25

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a set from Classic Plates Online for my 1969 1800S as shown in the photograph and the website states these are correct for pre 1975.

Simon

(PS if it looks crooked it's the bumper - needs some fettling!)

cassell Nov 17th, 2017 16:14

I've just checked the current rules, basically if a vehicle is in the 'historic vehicle - free road tax' category and registered before 1st January 1975, black and silver plates are now permitted.

Presumably this concession will continue on a rolling basis as the 'historic status - nil VED' moves forward?

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co....-number-plate/

VolvoFan Nov 18th, 2017 16:56

Thanks to all respondents. I now have the answer. What a helpful website this is!

dingov70 Nov 18th, 2017 17:51

From my Big Book of Words (MOT inspection manual for class 3,4,5 & 7 Vehicles )
Vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1977 may have registration plates displaying white, grey or silver characters on a black background.

You may choose to fit standard white / yellow plastic plates for daily use & keep early style for show days you choose , it's your car .

Dibble Nov 18th, 2017 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by VolvoFan (Post 2338499)
What is the correct style of number plate for the front of a 1972 car? Should it be a pressed aluminium plate with a black background with raised silver characters, or an aluminium plate white reflective background and black plastic (separate) characters?

Thanks.

If I remember correctly a car registered up to 'J' Plate, 1972, is permitted to have the black background/silver characters and this is illegal on any vehicle newer than that which must be the white front/yellow rear reflective plates.

Triple-S Nov 18th, 2017 23:01

I think your age/reg suffix is wrong: my 164 is 'L' suffix, was registered in Dec 1972 but a '73 model and has been wearing pressed shiny alloy letters on a black background most of this century.
My 1800ES is also an 'L' suffix and dates from March 1973 and had similar style plates fitted by the previous owner who supplied a photographic restoration, from a decade ago.

P