Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Towing caravan / snaking (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=252015)

volvorocks Jul 24th, 2016 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munro83 (Post 2128146)
I have been doing some research on this. I always thought that if the caravan starts to snake you accelerate out of it? I don't mean drag race style but a steady pull out of the snake?
I've towed heavy trailers with tons of stones etc but I'm new to towing caravans which will be affected by side winds etc.
What's your thoughts / opinions?

I have heard that as well, although I think the 'accelerate out of it' solution is best suited to the Stigs of this world...!!

Whenever I have detected a bit of instability whilst towing, I have eased off the gas pedal, that is eased off, rather than just an abrupt removal of my foot off the pedal.

Regards

Tannaton Jul 25th, 2016 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 2144763)
I have heard that as well, although I think the 'accelerate out of it' solution is best suited to the Stigs of this world...!!

Whenever I have detected a bit of instability whilst towing, I have eased off the gas pedal, that is eased off, rather than just an abrupt removal of my foot off the pedal.

Regards

You don't really want to be accelerating - you are just applying enough power to restore a situation where the car is pulling the caravan, not the other way around. This usually restores most mild sways but obviously you don't want to be doing it on a hill...

Munro83 Jul 25th, 2016 18:57

So that's us back from our long weekend away. To be honest I don't know why I was worrying- just use common sense and keep alert!
Although one thing I've noticed is that when your towing a caravan you all of a sudden become very aware of the state of the roads in this country! The amount of pot holes, which normally you can dodge at the last second in a car, are ridiculous!! And not just in town driving. Sitting at 55-60 on the duel carriageway with a huge lorry passing you at the same time hitting a series of cracks and huge pot holes is no laughing matter!!

andyredz Aug 29th, 2016 21:33

Top Gear caravan episode

Just happened to be watching a Top Gear episode in my brothers caravan on Saturday - they were not being kind to caravans. I was amazed at the amount of stick they were giving them yet they weren't straight to disaster or ruin, they took a lot of abuse before they failed.

On snaking etc, it really is down to load distribution and common sense.

axle4 Sep 12th, 2016 09:38

Had a massive snake/sway what ever you want to call it.
towing a 1100kg van that we have had from new, now 9yrs old, with a Jaguar x-type 3ltr awd estate. weather good, road good, van loaded correctly, nose weight checked (how many people do that), ride height fine, tyre pressures checked and tyres no more than 3yrs old, car good, have towed this van with it three times before without problems, picking up speed from 50mph to 60 when the van started swaying violently throwing the rear of the jag from side to side, took my feet off the pedals and tried to hold the steering wheel straight, very lucky, the van 'kissed' both wings of the car enough to scuff the paint but not dent it, ended up with the nose of the jag in the crash barrier at about 5mph, no air bags set off, bumper did a good job but now need a new one or at least some paint, tow bar slightly bent, tyre damaged and wheel scrap.
I drive lgv's for a living so used to towing, had caravans for 35yrs and know how to load etc.
Scared the crap out of my wife.
Still no idea what coursed it.

Tannaton Oct 3rd, 2016 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by axle4 (Post 2166223)
Had a massive snake/sway what ever you want to call it.
towing a 1100kg van that we have had from new, now 9yrs old, with a Jaguar x-type 3ltr awd estate. weather good, road good, van loaded correctly, nose weight checked (how many people do that), ride height fine, tyre pressures checked and tyres no more than 3yrs old, car good, have towed this van with it three times before without problems, picking up speed from 50mph to 60 when the van started swaying violently throwing the rear of the jag from side to side, took my feet off the pedals and tried to hold the steering wheel straight, very lucky, the van 'kissed' both wings of the car enough to scuff the paint but not dent it, ended up with the nose of the jag in the crash barrier at about 5mph, no air bags set off, bumper did a good job but now need a new one or at least some paint, tow bar slightly bent, tyre damaged and wheel scrap.
I drive lgv's for a living so used to towing, had caravans for 35yrs and know how to load etc.
Scared the crap out of my wife.
Still no idea what coursed it.

That sounds horrifying, but at least there's only scuffed paint and no injuries. Presumably it's a setup you're used to and was previously predictable? I just wonder if it was some sort of malfunction such as caravan brake sticking or tyre going flat?

Billggski Oct 4th, 2016 15:49

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...a801e800aa3bfc

Tannaton Oct 4th, 2016 20:57

Not sure if this link will work, but:

https://www.facebook.com/dunlaoghair...1663689527395/

Tannaton Oct 4th, 2016 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billggski (Post 2176362)

I didn't know that - looks like all models have it.

axle4 Oct 5th, 2016 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2176073)
That sounds horrifying, but at least there's only scuffed paint and no injuries. Presumably it's a setup you're used to and was previously predictable? I just wonder if it was some sort of malfunction such as caravan brake sticking or tyre going flat?

Brakes are fine, tyre blown while the van was dancing, heard it go. Caravan Club have test's which show that a blow out only rarely courses the caravan to lose control.
Towed the van with 8 cars, the jag was on it's third go, first two were fine, had the jag moted expecting it to fail on rear suspension which would explain it but passed no problem, caravan checked and serviced again no problems.