Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   S80: General S80 D5 2007 automatic 389000km (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296654)

BelgianinSpain Jul 15th, 2019 17:43

S80 D5 2007 automatic 389000km

Hi all,

I am looking in to buy a S80 D5 182HP model year 2007 with automatic grearbox.

The car has 389000 km.

Would you advice me to buy this car or would you say: STAY AWAY?

Does any one have experience with such high mileage S80 with automatic gearbox?

I am no so worried about the engine. (should I? ) More worried about the gearbox failing and costing much money to fix.

What should I in particular look for when viewing the car?

Thank you all for your advice, remarks,...

Wim.

Dean Bryant Jul 16th, 2019 11:14

I cannot comment on the gearbox as my V70 09 D5 is manual, with regards to the engine I would not worry if it has been serviced to schedule regularly as mine is currently on 444,000 miles.If it wasn't for the aux Tensioner recently seizing a few hundred miles before its 54000 interval replacement time and a piece of the belt taking off the Cambelt then I have had no problems at all. Cost me £2000 to replace the head but love the car and due to other financial circumstances was unable to spend any more even if I wanted to replace it with newer model. I know more recent recommendation is only to change the Aux belt at 54000 but going on my experience I would have tensioner changed as well and maybe before 54000.

ferg55 Jul 17th, 2019 23:20

I believe the advice is to change the belt and tensioner at 54K? It's the tensioner that actually fails, taking out the aux belt (and sometimes the cam belt too).

As a side note, has anyone heard of tensioner issues when an aftermarket one is fitted? I have a Gates one fitted (and have gone beyond the 54km interval so needs replacing) and am tempted to replace with the same, given the Volvo one's track record.

Tannaton Jul 18th, 2019 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelgianinSpain (Post 2536494)
Hi all,

I am looking in to buy a S80 D5 182HP model year 2007 with automatic grearbox.

The car has 389000 km.

Would you advice me to buy this car or would you say: STAY AWAY?

Does any one have experience with such high mileage S80 with automatic gearbox?

I am no so worried about the engine. (should I? ) More worried about the gearbox failing and costing much money to fix.

What should I in particular look for when viewing the car?

Thank you all for your advice, remarks,...

Wim.

Back to the op.... if it has been looked after and drives okay and the price is right.... why not?

You need a long test drive to get the gearbox up to temperature.

From memory the roads around you can be poor so check all suspension and bushes etc.

As always - check all electrics. Not inherently unreliable but can be expensive to fix.

barrybritcher Jul 18th, 2019 00:52

ONLY. If it's silly cheap. AND if stored away from the sea / ocean.

That age some parts will be rusty, the gearbox will be on last legs and you will need to do a lot of catch up work if the service has been neglected.

I wouldnt turn it down but I would ensure you have £500 extra in the pocket for additional works above the purchase price.

brakes, brake fluid, oil, coolant, disc, pads, drop links, wheel bearings, gearbox fluid, etc etc