Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Rear O/S door stuck and won't open- any advice? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263870)

dshbc Feb 20th, 2017 22:18

Rear O/S door stuck and won't open- any advice?

Just bought a used V40, when I bought it the door was fine and nothing wrong with it.

Just this morning when I tried to open it after driving to work I can't open it from inside or outside.

At that time I have set the V40 to autolock and also when unlocking, unlock the drivers door first then passengers.

Could this be a cause to the problem?

I noticed when I bought the car the fuse for the front 12V has gone so I have replaced it with the one for the back whilst I go and get a 15A for the back today.

Could anyone point me to any previous threads if any or any solutions?

Mine is a V40 2013 D3 SE Lux

Clan Feb 20th, 2017 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshbc (Post 2237674)
Just bought a used V40, when I bought it the door was fine and nothing wrong with it.

Just this morning when I tried to open it after driving to work I can't open it from inside or outside.

At that time I have set the V40 to autolock and also when unlocking, unlock the drivers door first then passengers.

Could this be a cause to the problem?

I noticed when I bought the car the fuse for the front 12V has gone so I have replaced it with the one for the back whilst I go and get a 15A for the back today.

Could anyone point me to any previous threads if any or any solutions?

Mine is a V40 2013 D3 SE Lux

Yes not uncommon, you will need a new door catch/lock assembly , try your dealer who may be sympathetic if you are just out of warranty, the whole internals of the door has to come out . .

dshbc Feb 20th, 2017 22:42

Thanks Clan, this car was from Lex AxxxLease and had been serviced with one main volvo dealer, just wondering if its better for me to take it back there (about 2 hrs drive) or should I go to my local Volvo dealer to get this sorted?

I m just thinking that this car has been serviced there in Dec 2016 so I might stand a better chance in terms of service or pricing etc.

I can't think that this door problem would occur at such an early stage for a newish car- I'd expect these after 8 to 10 years.

But anyway it is a very nice car and I still think its worth every penny and has great value for money.

Clan Feb 20th, 2017 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshbc (Post 2237699)
Thanks Clan, this car was from Lex AxxxLease and had been serviced with one main volvo dealer, just wondering if its better for me to take it back there (about 2 hrs drive) or should I go to my local Volvo dealer to get this sorted?

I m just thinking that this car has been serviced there in Dec 2016 so I might stand a better chance in terms of service or pricing etc.

I can't think that this door problem would occur at such an early stage for a newish car- I'd expect these after 8 to 10 years.

But anyway it is a very nice car and I still think its worth every penny and has great value for money.

Probably best to go to the nearest dealer , they should do what they can to help to keep your business there in the future then . you might find they pay all or a percentage . BUT if you still have a warranty where you bought it , keep that in reserve ..

dshbc Feb 20th, 2017 22:58

I have had bad experiences with my local dealer in Leicester and I know they are not the most helpful bunch of people, as my colleague has a Jaguar XF taken to their Jaguar garage and he found poor workmanship with extortionate prices.

I 'll give it a try and see if I can have much luck with my local dealer.

The warranty uses tricky words as it is a RAC warranty but it doesnt say it covers door lock etc.

It says it covers electrics such as instrument cluster, central locking solenoids, key remote FOBs and key cards.

Would it have any luck with the warranty by the sound of it?

Thanks for the advice again

Clan Feb 20th, 2017 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshbc (Post 2237713)
I have had bad experiences with my local dealer in Leicester and I know they are not the most helpful bunch of people, as my colleague has a Jaguar XF taken to their Jaguar garage and he found poor workmanship with extortionate prices.

I 'll give it a try and see if I can have much luck with my local dealer.

The warranty uses tricky words as it is a RAC warranty but it doesnt say it covers door lock etc.

It says it covers electrics such as instrument cluster, central locking solenoids, key remote FOBs and key cards.

Would it have any luck with the warranty by the sound of it?

Thanks for the advice again

well the central locking solenoid isn't opening the door so it should be covered .

dshbc Feb 23rd, 2017 18:42

Just got a reply from the local volvo dealer, they recommend replacing both locks for the rear doors, which they will contribute 50% to the cost, but its still quite a nasty bill

below is the reply from them

Good evening

I have looked into the policy and Volvo will contribute 50% and you pay the remainder 50%.

This will cover both rear door locks.

Total cost inclusive of VAT £264.72

Please let me know if you would like to go ahead and i can arrange the ordering of parts.

Kind Regards

I have also looked into the warranty when I bought it, which says it doesnt cover the cost for diagnostics or the use of genuine factory parts, despite being a RAC Gold warranty. Could I have got the parts for the lock somewhere like eurocarparts?

The warranty covers the labour and non Volvo parts and i can choose any VAT registered garage.

what arr your views on this? I m not happy that the lock fails for a car thats only 4 yrs old, despite having 120k on the clock, as my previous V50 and V70 had more miles and no probs with the doors.

Would it be worth trying to argue the case as my local dealer tends to charge rip off prices?

For the mean time i ll also try to find out prices from nearby Volvo dealers

Clan Feb 23rd, 2017 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshbc (Post 2239105)
Just got a reply from the local volvo dealer, they recommend replacing both locks for the rear doors, which they will contribute 50% to the cost, but its still quite a nasty bill

below is the reply from them

Good evening

I have looked into the policy and Volvo will contribute 50% and you pay the remainder 50%.

This will cover both rear door locks.

Total cost inclusive of VAT £264.72

Please let me know if you would like to go ahead and i can arrange the ordering of parts.

Kind Regards

I have also looked into the warranty when I bought it, which says it doesnt cover the cost for diagnostics or the use of genuine factory parts, despite being a RAC Gold warranty. Could I have got the parts for the lock somewhere like eurocarparts?

The warranty covers the labour and non Volvo parts and i can choose any VAT registered garage.

what arr your views on this? I m not happy that the lock fails for a car thats only 4 yrs old, despite having 120k on the clock, as my previous V50 and V70 had more miles and no probs with the doors.

Would it be worth trying to argue the case as my local dealer tends to charge rip off prices?

For the mean time i ll also try to find out prices from nearby Volvo dealers

I doubt if you can get locks anywhere else , that might be the first option for you , If the warranty company can't find non volvo locks then do they fork out for the genuine ones ?

The volvo deal is pretty reasonable to be honest considering the 90 minute job of changing both rear locks , , the locks you get are improved ones to keep water out .. I don't think volvo pay for just one to be done to prevent comebacks with the other one failing in the near future . One job 100% fix .

dshbc Feb 23rd, 2017 20:46

Thanks Clan

Looking at the policy they won't fork out for the genuine Volvo parts, but I am prepared to pay a bit for it tbh.

I do wonder how they are going to replace the lock since the door cannot be unlocked using the button in the car nor the key fob :)

I drive on my own 90% of the times so its not a big issue for me but if I had a family then it would have been something else.

I didn't know the new ones are improved design to keep water out, which I guess it worth it.

I ll try two more dealers and get them to give me a quote since the local dealer don't have a slot next week.

Clan Feb 23rd, 2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshbc (Post 2239183)
Thanks Clan

Looking at the policy they won't fork out for the genuine Volvo parts, but I am prepared to pay a bit for it tbh.

I do wonder how they are going to replace the lock since the door cannot be unlocked using the button in the car nor the key fob :)

volvo know how to do it without causing damage ,,

I drive on my own 90% of the times so its not a big issue for me but if I had a family then it would have been something else.

If you leave it you could have trapped passengers in the back , especially if the other side decides to play up .

I didn't know the new ones are improved design to keep water out, which I guess it worth it.

I ll try two more dealers and get them to give me a quote since the local dealer don't have a slot next week.

Hope that helps a bit