Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Help my Friends (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307743)

Anubisxc70 Jul 9th, 2020 19:34

Help my Friends

2004 XC70 D5 AWD.225k

Hello I need help my friends.
I have a oil leak and its the oil filter housing. I can see the oil under it.
My problem is i cant find any where the seals to replace.
Any ideas?
Many Thanks to you all

KEEP SAFE

Boomtown1 Jul 9th, 2020 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2646084)
2004 XC70 D5 AWD.225k

Hello I need help my friends.
I have a oil leak and its the oil filter housing. I can see the oil under it.
My problem is i cant find any where the seals to replace.
Any ideas?
Many Thanks to you all

KEEP SAFE

New oil filter housing needed I’d guess

reggit Jul 10th, 2020 07:47

There’s on o-ring seal in the oil filter housing which should be replaced when the filter is changed.

BlueRubber Jul 10th, 2020 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2646189)
There’s on o-ring seal in the oil filter housing which should be replaced when the filter is changed.

Also sometimes it can be fitted incorrectly which can cause oil leaks.

Missing Lincs Jul 10th, 2020 16:51

I've had the actual oil filter housing/mount fail. Can happen if the filter is put on too tightly or not threaded properly.

ASt85 Jul 10th, 2020 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRubber (Post 2646321)
Also sometimes it can be fitted incorrectly which can cause oil leaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missing Lincs (Post 2646348)
I've had the actual oil filter housing/mount fail. Can happen if the filter is put on too tightly or not threaded properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2646189)

All of the above, but it if it has only just started leaking the most likely cause is the O ring - these often get crimped when a new filter is installed but don't leak straight away, IMHO as the oil gets older it leaks more easily through a damaged seal - easiest check is to allow the oil to settle in the sump, then a few hours later unscrew the filter, and replace it with a known make filter eg Volvo or Mann, which will come with a new O ring....make sure you oil the O ring and at least half to three quarter fill the filter oil canister with oil then hand tight plus a further quarter turn to form the seal - if you go beyond that point the seal gets crimp/crush damage and after a few months will start to leak.

oragex Jul 10th, 2020 20:32

This large rubber o-ring comes with most new oil filters. So it needs replaced with every filter. I was once too lazy to do it, and I can tell after 2 years the seal does start leaking. Do NOT try tightening the oil cup some more, it will get stuck.

Anubisxc70 Jul 10th, 2020 21:38

WOOW WOW
Please my friends wait a minute...
I ALWAYS changed the seal when i change my oil (i change my oil every 6000/8000 miles, with MANN filter. Like the fuel filter 2 times a year) i always put oil around the seal before close it. I always do hand tight.

I know its leaking under the oil filter housing. I can post photos
Around where the oil filter goes there is no oil leaking.

ASt85 Jul 11th, 2020 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2646410)

I know its leaking under the oil filter housing. I can post photos
Around where the oil filter goes there is no oil leaking.

Change the filter and seal and then torque the canister to no more than 25 Nm - if you go beyond that, which is actually quite easy to exceed by hand, you will damage the seal.

Anubisxc70 Jul 11th, 2020 21:55

My friends if it was the seal, we would find oil around the cover ..right??
There is none. the leak is in the junction between the oil filter housing and the engine block. It can only be the seal .....