Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   S40(2009 reg) DPF cleaning additive (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320353)

smartsarath2003 Oct 2nd, 2021 12:54

S40(2009 reg) DPF cleaning additive

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I have a 2009 Reg S40 (2010 model D4 164T). When I has some dashboard messages appear, I had the car serviced by independent mechanic who said the dpf catalyst tank is empty, so he filled it up and did a forced regeneration and car was running normal. If I remember it right he told me he used Adblue to fill that tank.

I heard Adblue as well as other name Eolys. i previously thought, these two are same type and just different brands. But now I understand that they are not same and work differently. Can someone please confirm this?

After filling with suspected Adblue, I didn’t used the car that much and was sitting idle for almost an year. this week I did 900mile motorway miles. However, after one motorway journey, I observed reduced fuel efficiency towards end of the journey suddenly and even after reaching the traffic 20min later… stop-start didn’t work. With new battery, AC off, I am pretty sure the re-gen didn’t finished off. Should I get the car checked again and get right catalyst Eolys filled?

I also notice a small leak on drive way when parked from rear of the car, which is not fuel. Not sure this is related, but I attached the pic for comments.

Thanks

Simmy Oct 2nd, 2021 20:06

adblue and eloys are not the same take the car back an get them to put in the correct eloys fluid they are not at all similar they are completely different chemicals do a google search and then show it at the garage .penrite oil give a great info sheet on why they are not the same. eloys is a fuel based addative ad blue is injected in to the exhaust after combustion:regular_smile:

Familyman 90 Oct 2nd, 2021 21:17

Adblue is an exhaust after treatment.

Eoyls is a catlyser that raises combustion temperature and lowers the temperature at which the soot will combust.

Get the correct stuff in the car pronto, and find abother garage.

smartsarath2003 Oct 12th, 2021 02:08

Thanks. Can anyone confirm of 2010 model s40 does contain fuel additive tank for Eloys?
I have one garage before claimed my model does not use additive, when they replace DPF. They said my car simply uses more fuel. My car manual also does not list any thing in the fuel section!
But after I get dashboard warning, I went to my current garage. They filled the additive and Forced regen and car has run 2000 miles so far without any warning!

The small leak I see (from attached pic) looks just below/above real axel, slightly on passenger side(left). Does the Eloys tank be at same location?

Simmy Oct 12th, 2021 12:30

park with 2 wheel up on the kerb and slide under it should be visable also check for any leaks

smartsarath2003 Nov 10th, 2021 00:04

1 Attachment(s)
After further check with garage and volvo dealer, they both confirmed my car has pat fluid, which is Eloys.
From the attached pic, it looks like brown liquid with a minor leak around pump. My local garage checked diagnostics and they reported DPF additive pump error and can’t operate/ get further info like additive level from pump.

There is suspicion that I need new Additive tank and/or pump, but not sure. Can anyone advise any further, before I spend another £300-500. Thanks

Additive tank was filled March2020 with regen and since then did only about 300miles after which and car was sitting on my driveway for 10months with dead battery. After latest service I did 900mile motorway miles and had 68-70mpg. So not perfectly sure if I had any problem despite this small additive leak.

IainG Nov 10th, 2021 08:51

Hi
I had similar on my V50 a few years ago.
I stripped the tank best I could and replaced a couple of seals but it still leaked.
In the end I bought a new tank. Over £300 if I remember correctly.

Iain

elysian12345 Nov 12th, 2021 23:28

that pic looka like it is leaking from the actual pump i had a similar problem on a friends car not on a volvo but a citroen where the same thing was done to that car he claimed off the garage for a new pump and although he did not get the full price of the pump assembly they paid roughly 70% of the price for pump the assembly and fitted it for free and it looks like pat fluid adblu is clear