Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Generic Parts for Sale (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   D5 2.4D Timing belt guard for sale (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253245)

Sasha94 Jul 15th, 2016 22:00

D5 2.4D Timing belt guard for sale

Because I've sold my car and I never fitted the belt guard I bought from forum member Element888 I have no use for it as I won't be buying another D5 anytime soon. It fits a D5244T4 and some other engines I think but it certainly would have fitted my 2008 XC70 D5.

I think Gints charges £55 gbp for these so I'm not sure what to ask for it; I wouldn't want to undercut him and lose him a sale as he made it but I also don't wish to profiteer on his enterprise so I can only say I'm looking to take sensible offers. I would have to get a postage quote on this; I am going to town tomorrow so if I remember I'll take it with me and get a quote for UK mainland delivery. The image below is the actual item I have at home and the item you will be buying.

Thanks guys :)

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...psnvp6sfxj.jpg

Sasha94 Jul 24th, 2016 22:10

Bumpy bumpy :)

Cantankerous One Jul 24th, 2016 23:13

You have a PM

Sasha94 Jul 26th, 2016 12:06

Sold and shipped :)

Cantankerous One Jul 30th, 2016 19:23

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasha94 (Post 2145707)
Sold and shipped :)

And now fitted - thanks again Sash

Attachment 97840

Rooster Jul 30th, 2016 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous One (Post 2147753)
And now fitted - thanks again Sash

Attachment 97840

I would be swopping that auxillary belt tensioner ASAP as they are the ones that fail,

Modified ones have larger torx hole

Clan Jul 30th, 2016 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 2147775)
I would be swopping that auxillary belt tensioner ASAP as they are the ones that fail,

Modified ones have larger torx hole

indeed ! they are doing it all the wrong way around .. paying out good money on an unproven device to try and stop their engines being destroyed by having a known faulty tensioner on there ! Not having the cars serviced by people who know what they are doing .. Incredible incompetence really .! I'd just leave it and see if the device does it's job anytime soon ..:thumbs_up:

Cantankerous One Jul 31st, 2016 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2147826)
indeed ! they are doing it all the wrong way around .. paying out good money on an unproven device to try and stop their engines being destroyed by having a known faulty tensioner on there ! Not having the cars serviced by people who know what they are doing .. Incredible incompetence really .! I'd just leave it and see if the device does it's job anytime soon ..:thumbs_up:

Clan I'm disappointed by the assumptions you have made regarding both myself and my car. My V70 has only ever been serviced by a Main dealer before I bought it at 103k miles. As soon as I bought the car and realising that the cambelt was due for renewal within the next 5k I had my local indi carry out the 108k major service and also give it a complete once over and replace anything that needed replacing - resulting in a £2k+ bill. I also checked with my local main dealer that there were no outstanding recalls for my V70. I like to know that any vehicle I own is safe and properly maintained - I am by no means an "incompetent" owner!!!

That said I didn't realise that the auxiliary belt tensioner was STILL the known faulty one, but - as perhaps I shouldn't have relied on people who SHOULD "have known what they are doing" - my ignorance could be excused.

Now that I do know I'll replace it asap.

Rant over (and I do appreciate the very helpful advice you give).

PS the cam belt guard is an extremely well make and substantial piece of kit.

Clan Jul 31st, 2016 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous One (Post 2147905)
Clan I'm disappointed by the assumptions you have made regarding both myself and my car. My V70 has only ever been serviced by a Main dealer before I bought it at 103k miles. As soon as I bought the car and realising that the cambelt was due for renewal within the next 5k I had my local indi carry out the 108k major service and also give it a complete once over and replace anything that needed replacing - resulting in a £2k+ bill. I also checked with my local main dealer that there were no outstanding recalls for my V70. I like to know that any vehicle I own is safe and properly maintained - I am by no means an "incompetent" owner!!!

That said I didn't realise that the auxiliary belt tensioner was STILL the known faulty one, but - as perhaps I shouldn't have relied on people who SHOULD "have known what they are doing" - my ignorance could be excused.

Now that I do know I'll replace it asap.

Rant over (and I do appreciate the very helpful advice you give).

PS the cam belt guard is an extremely well make and substantial piece of kit.

sorry tony i was not talking about your situation in particular , rather just general incompetance of people not doing belts and tensioners properly . However your "independant" did not change the aux belt tensioner did he , a dangerous one that WILL fail in the near future , one that a dealer should have/ would have changed as soon as he saw it . That tensioner was subject to a service campaign it should not still be on there .people don't realise the HUGE forces involved when an AUX belt tangles it will rip a tensioner out including a vital piece of the cylinder block and ruin the block for example ,as well as ruining the head, i cant see a £60 bit of bent metal stopping this , i wonder what will happen when a belt does go and the device doesn't work .. In about 50% of the cases the aux belt does fall harmlessly to the floor .

Cantankerous One Jul 31st, 2016 12:48

Thanks Clan - apology accepted.

You were right about the independent not changing it at the 108k but even more worryingly neither did the main dealer previously - having just looked at the checklist for the 54k service carried out by Holdcroft Stoke a Volvo main dealer I notice that they ticked all the 54k items apart from the tensioner change box. Which indicates that it's not just the indies that you can't rely on to carry out a service schedule fully. Which is why I do all my own routine servicing.

I'm just glad that I posted the photo of the fitted guard and that Rooster spotted that the faulty tensioner was still there - despite the fact that it should have already been changed twice when "experts" carried out the 54k and 108k services.

It's sad to think that you can't even rely on main dealers, never mind indies, to do a proper job.

Bearing in mind that I fitted the guard myself am I right in thinking that replacing the tensioner (and presumably idler pulley) is a straight forward diy job?