Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2001 V40: Reading Fault Codes / DTCs..? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294561)

theboymike May 7th, 2019 21:19

2001 V40: Reading Fault Codes / DTCs..?

As per my other thread I could do with pulling any codes I can from my V40 and would very much appreciate any pointers as to how to do this please!

- Is there a procedure for displaying the codes on the vehicle's dash?

- Can I get detailed codes off the car using a generic OBDII reader or do I need a Volvo-specific reader?

- Where is the test port located in the vehicle and what is the procedure for use?

Any thoughts / links / recommendations would be grand, thanks :)

P156KWJ May 10th, 2019 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboymike (Post 2518977)
As per my other thread I could do with pulling any codes I can from my V40 and would very much appreciate any pointers as to how to do this please!

- Is there a procedure for displaying the codes on the vehicle's dash?

- Can I get detailed codes off the car using a generic OBDII reader or do I need a Volvo-specific reader?

- Where is the test port located in the vehicle and what is the procedure for use?

Any thoughts / links / recommendations would be grand, thanks :)

Socket should be bear your left knee above the footwell, under the dash.

Generic OBD II didn't work for me, a decent professional Snap On one will of course work but not sure what other cheaper options are available... if you find out, I'd also like to hear what you used!

theboymike May 10th, 2019 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by P156KWJ (Post 2519584)
Socket should be bear your left knee above the footwell, under the dash.

Generic OBD II didn't work for me, a decent professional Snap On one will of course work but not sure what other cheaper options are available... if you find out, I'd also like to hear what you used!

That's a bummer about the OBDII reader.. I've done a lot of googling but am struggling to find a concrete confirmation of what will and won't work. Needless to say I won't be buying a snap-on item so it might be a case of getting a garage to check and reset the fault codes; assuming replacing the throttle body cures the issue I'm having..

Will let you know how I get on!

clarkey1984 May 11th, 2019 15:42

We have a generic gendan reader at work, and also an icarsoft one that's specifically for mercedes, but both can read and erase codes on both my 02 t4 and my 52 2.0i, however neither of these would read my 99 phase 1 2.0i, but if yours is a phase 2 you should be good.

theboymike May 12th, 2019 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkey1984 (Post 2519915)
We have a generic gendan reader at work, and also an icarsoft one that's specifically for mercedes, but both can read and erase codes on both my 02 t4 and my 52 2.0i, however neither of these would read my 99 phase 1 2.0i, but if yours is a phase 2 you should be good.

Thanks - that's grand! I think it is a phase 2 as it has the (currently shafted) drive-by-wire throttle, amongst other things.

Providing I can source a new throttle body I'll look to get a cheap OBDII reader to reset the fault codes after it's fitted :)