Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   D5 time (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288515)

andyv40turbo Nov 12th, 2018 22:08

D5 time

I am excited to be back in a Volvo! Collect my 08 V50 d5 geartronic tomorrow evening.

It's not what I was originally after but taking it for a drive...

Some slight blistering on the alloys but other than that very clean. Black though so lots of cleaning! Bought some roof bars already.

First additions will be rubber floor mats for winter, interior leds, tints and a black grill. Will post some pics when I get the chance but for now just happy to be in a Volvo and back on the forum.

LizardOfBodom Nov 13th, 2018 10:14

Nice, welcome to P1 family! :)
Word of advice - from what I read about geartronics your first task should be having it properly taken care of, i.e. oil change etc if you have no history of that part serviced. It can cause a lot issues if neglected.

HarjB Nov 13th, 2018 11:13

How much is an oil change for the D5?

andyv40turbo Nov 13th, 2018 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2466325)
Nice, welcome to P1 family! :)
Word of advice - from what I read about geartronics your first task should be having it properly taken care of, i.e. oil change etc if you have no history of that part serviced. It can cause a lot issues if neglected.

Maintenance before modifications!

It has a decent service history but I'm going to give it a full service for peace of mind.

Yobbo Nov 13th, 2018 16:10

Good choice! Mine too is also black (most of the time)...:rolleyes:

LizardOfBodom Nov 14th, 2018 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyv40turbo (Post 2466399)
Maintenance before modifications!

It has a decent service history but I'm going to give it a full service for peace of mind.

Good , good, thats the right way! :)
Also be mindful, P1 cars has a long list of "non replaceable" fluids that volvo technicians are insisting that "are for life" - best advice is to ignore that and do your own research. One of examples is P/S fluid that is often considered "if its there, its ok" but then you hear other users with "my steering rack is gone" issues. Also coolant is good thing to replace straight away as our 5 pots really need their cooling to be top-notch. Brake fluid is a no brainer aswell so basically reflush everyhithing that is fluid in the car except for windscreen washer :P
Just after that you will have peace of mind :)

andyv40turbo Nov 15th, 2018 13:00

Had the car a couple days now, it decided not to start after work yesterday or this morning. (jumped it twice). suspected dead battery so now this has been replaced. It had sat for a while before I bought it so not unreasonable (also a ten year old battery). guy I bought it off is paying half the battery. Other than that... really enjoying it.

Did notice taking off the strut brace that the rear two screws were loose! will be applying some loctite this evening. New battery doesnt quite fit the bracket either (not tall enough) so a few rubber spacers to go in!

Maintenance before modifications...

andyv40turbo Nov 16th, 2018 19:51

1 Attachment(s)
Fitted these roof bars today from a website called micks garage made by Aguri.

It may reduce the actual usefulness of the bars being narrower but I prefer the look.

marc Nov 19th, 2018 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyv40turbo (Post 2466946)
New battery doesnt quite fit the bracket either (not tall enough) so a few rubber spacers to go in!

I had the exact same issue last year when my 8 year old battery died...maybe tech/construction of batteries has changed since they were fitted in our cars :icon_smile_lachuh:

phil1968 Nov 20th, 2018 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc (Post 2468375)
I had the exact same issue last year when my 8 year old battery died...maybe tech/construction of batteries has changed since they were fitted in our cars :icon_smile_lachuh:

Coincidentally when I put our car into the local garage for a replacement battery they had three attempts to get the correct battery delivered; first two times they were the wrong size. My original lasted 8 years too.