Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cold start issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316837)

JDW3696 May 14th, 2021 09:23

Cold start issue

Morning all,
Finally got my Volvo running perfectly after replacing the injector o rings. The old ones were causing running issues as they let air passed but now it appears the cold start injector is not kicking in. I'll check the wiring and give it all a clean including the Thermal temperature switch but wondered if this is normally an issue that can be fixed or do I need to think about replacing the switch and the injector?
If this is the case does anyone know where to get them other than a Volvo dealer?
It's a 1988 Volvo 740 2.3gle with the b230e engine.
Thanks in advance. All the best
Joe

Laird Scooby May 14th, 2021 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW3696 (Post 2736957)
Morning all,
Finally got my Volvo running perfectly after replacing the injector o rings. The old ones were causing running issues as they let air passed but now it appears the cold start injector is not kicking in. I'll check the wiring and give it all a clean including the Thermal temperature switch but wondered if this is normally an issue that can be fixed or do I need to think about replacing the switch and the injector?
If this is the case does anyone know where to get them other than a Volvo dealer?
It's a 1988 Volvo 740 2.3gle with the b230e engine.
Thanks in advance. All the best
Joe

What makes you think the cold start injector isn't working Joe? :thinking:

JDW3696 May 14th, 2021 15:25

Usually when I start the car from cold it fires first time and then the revs go up to about 1500 rpm as they should until it warms up. At the moment it's getting tricky to start and the revs font go up at all so thought it would be related to the cold start. Car starts fine when warm.
Thanks
Joe

Laird Scooby May 14th, 2021 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW3696 (Post 2737051)
Usually when I start the car from cold it fires first time and then the revs go up to about 1500 rpm as they should until it warms up. At the moment it's getting tricky to start and the revs font go up at all so thought it would be related to the cold start. Car starts fine when warm.
Thanks
Joe

It will be related to the cold start sysem but not the cold start injector. The fact it fires first time says the enrichment side (cold start injector) is working. What won't be working is the AAV - Auxiliary Air Valve.

Mounted on the left hand side of the rocker cover/cam box between #2 and #3 inlet tracts, a vertical valve with large bore (~16mm) hoses to and from it.

https://i.postimg.cc/kM1p296K/B230E.jpg

The AAV is marked with a red circle and the cold start injector has a blue circle round it.

With the engine warm/hot and off, remove the top hose from the AAV and give it a long squirt of carb cleaner, refit the hose and leave until cold. Have a look inside by lifting the top hose when it's cold, if the valve has opened up, all good, if not give it another squirt of carb cleaner and it should open because it's cold.

If that doesn't get it to open when cold, you may need to remove it, squirt both ends then try and get it to move with a long, thin screwdriver. While it's off, check the stubs that the hoses connect to on the inlet manifold and the other side of the throttle body are clean and clear too.

JDW3696 May 14th, 2021 18:48

Brilliant.
Meant to say it only starts first time when it's warm. When it's cold it struggles.
Thankyou so much. I'll do that tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thankyou.

JDW3696 May 16th, 2021 14:29

Thankyiu ever so much. That sorted it. Car is finally running how it should. Lovely stuff.
Really smooth idle and pretty responsive

JDW3696 May 16th, 2021 14:41

And it starts first time

Laird Scooby May 16th, 2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW3696 (Post 2737618)
Thankyiu ever so much. That sorted it. Car is finally running how it should. Lovely stuff.
Really smooth idle and pretty responsive

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW3696 (Post 2737622)
And it starts first time

You're welcome and glad it's sorted! :thumbs_up: