Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Service Cost - Main Dealer. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286675)

ajbayram Sep 21st, 2018 20:13

Service Cost - Main Dealer.

Have been quoted £771 and a few pence for a 6 year service on a D3. This includes the cam belt change. Whilst appreciating that a lot of 6 year old cars will have done some 100k miles (mine is way below this) it still seems an awful lot to pay, way more than double last year.

Am I being unreasonable to expect a lower figure?

Andy.

PS The MOT is extra.

Clan Sep 21st, 2018 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbayram (Post 2449943)
Have been quoted £771 and a few pence for a 6 year service on a D3. This includes the cam belt change. Whilst appreciating that a lot of 6 year old cars will have done some 100k miles (mine is way below this) it still seems an awful lot to pay, way more than double last year.

Am I being unreasonable to expect a lower figure?

Andy.

PS The MOT is extra.

If your car is less than 10 years old and the mileage is nowhere near 108000 miles then you certainly do not need the cambelt changing .. question them about it , It is wrong of them to do this to you .

depending on the model it will need a Aux belt only changing at 54000 miles irrespective of time/age ..has this been done if you have exceeded 54000 miles?

( Your cambelt change interval is 108000 miles or ten years which ever comes first )

Tannaton Sep 21st, 2018 21:23

There is a service price calculator tool on Volvo website...

Clan Sep 21st, 2018 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2449976)
There is a service price calculator tool on Volvo website...

I see , well best question it . I just had a look at the price calculator and the dealer I chose ( as you have to select a dealer ) it says auto gearbox oil replace its all misleading I am afraid and the cost was £1070 !

Tannaton Sep 21st, 2018 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2449994)
I see , well best question it .

Am assuming for the age and mileage of th OPs car the price will come out much less than quoted...

Clan Sep 21st, 2018 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2449999)
Am assuming for the age and mileage of th OPs car the price will come out much less than quoted...

with the recent service re-arrangements , the items required for each service can be tailored to suit the particular car if mileage is low , but if the service is labelled 108000 at say 65000 miles covered then a note should be made in the service book that the belts were not changed ...

ajbayram Sep 22nd, 2018 09:29

Thanks for the replies.

Got the price wrong in original post - it was £871 and the few pence.

Mileage is less than 38k.

Yes, I did try haggling but no shifting.

Andy.

krzemien Sep 22nd, 2018 10:49

You are being taken for a ride.

Ask them explicitly to remove the cam belt change (unnecessary) and to give you their price. And possibly quote with breakdown.

Did you have aux belts & tensioner changed already?

Which service is this: a minor (~£290) or a major (~390) one? Prices I give you are the ones I paid in London & Hampshire over the time of my ownership (since 2010) and they have barely changed.

Also, for reference:

18k service schedule

My two-pence on related subject

Clan Sep 22nd, 2018 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by krzemien (Post 2450078)
You are being taken for a ride.

Ask them explicitly to remove the cam belt change (unnecessary) and to give you their price. And possibly quote with breakdown.

Did you have aux belts & tensioner changed already?

Which service is this: a minor (~£290) or a major (~390) one? Prices I give you are the ones I paid in London & Hampshire over the time of my ownership (since 2010) and they have barely changed.

Also, for reference:

18k service schedule

My two-pence on related subject

That service list is outdated now , Quite a few of those points have been deleted.The correct service schedule is always the one in the current VIDA ..

krzemien Sep 22nd, 2018 11:45

Fair point - still good point of reference.

But surely still valid for 2007-10 MY cars.

Also, information from VIDA is misread by dealers - and to their benefit either. An example - as discussed here - is pushing customers for cam belt change @ service (year) #6, where the change it's purely driven either by mileage (varies, depending on the model, 108k in my case) or age (typically 10 years).