Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Door Glass replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274137)

Triple-S Oct 23rd, 2017 11:13

Door Glass replacement

Although the door-glass carriers on my 140 are almost new one window has become detached from it. The gasket strip along the join also looks new, so I searched both on here and in the manuals for advise on how to refit but couldn't find anything.
Questions: does that section of the carrier have to be prised open to accept the glass plus gasket; how to clamp it shut or bash it together after installation without crunching the glass, and what adhesive to use (if any).
I'd prefer to do the job in-situ but assuming it will pass through the gap at the door top then so be it. Has anybody else done this job - john-h perhaps, as I'd be grateful for advice.

Paul

john h Oct 23rd, 2017 12:18

I usually squeeze the metal channel until the glass plus rubber is a firm fit, pushed in by hand with some wd40. It doesn't need to be a super tight fit. If things are adjusted correctly (and assuming the window isn't frozen shut) there shouldn't be much load on the joint.

Do you know why yours popped out?

John

Triple-S Oct 23rd, 2017 12:31

Thanks for info John - so no adhesive then?
Have no idea how it came out in the first place - it was fine when I took the car in for MoT but when I got back the glass stayed up when I tried to wind the window down to reverse the car in.
Both the glass carrier and the gasket strip look nearly new: suppose I could prise the grip bit open a bit then nip it together when glass in the right place. Curious as to need or otherwise for adhesive though.

Paul

john h Oct 23rd, 2017 13:38

I have never used adhesive

J

140 Oct 29th, 2017 11:56

What tends to happen is the rubber strip between the glass and metal channel gets hard and the the glass falls out.
I would replace the rubber strip making sure you know where the old one is located on the glass. This was a regular thing with 100 and 200 series cars and we used thinners to lubricate the rubber to refit it and then it would evaporate not leaving a oil residue which would then allow it to slip off again.

Clan Oct 29th, 2017 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2330273)
Although the door-glass carriers on my 140 are almost new one window has become detached from it. The gasket strip along the join also looks new, so I searched both on here and in the manuals for advise on how to refit but couldn't find anything.
Questions: does that section of the carrier have to be prised open to accept the glass plus gasket; how to clamp it shut or bash it together after installation without crunching the glass, and what adhesive to use (if any).
I'd prefer to do the job in-situ but assuming it will pass through the gap at the door top then so be it. Has anybody else done this job - john-h perhaps, as I'd be grateful for advice.

Paul

you will need a new unused metal carrier , a stretched one won't grip and a squashed one will not go on . a new rubber strip , quite a bit longer than you need and you will have to get the glass out ..
mark on the glass where the metal strip needs to be ... after cleaning the glass with brake cleaner to get any oil off . never use any oil at all the channel will only come off again !
The method is to get someone to hold the glass upside down verticaly on a piece of hardboard on a flat floor ..you have to stretch the rubber along the complete length of the glass so it gets thinner .. then hammer the metal channel on in the right place , use a block of wood between hammer and channel . do not worry about hammering , i never broke any glass on the dozens and dozens i did back in the 1970's to 90's ..