Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40: S40 door handle kaput (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222209)

V40owner Jan 22nd, 2015 07:14

S40 door handle kaput

Morning gents.

Seems like nothing goes right without failure.
Upon putting the car for the mot last monday and seeing the car passing with flying colours nor advisories yesterday i did notice that the belly pan is slightly loose and out of alignment...the joys.

To make things worse this morning while walking to the completely frozen car i had it unlocked and while opening the door the door handle ended up coming appart from the door....
Result now i can open the door even by pulling the handle.
Does anyone know if this is fixable or quite difficult to fix??

Thanks

Antz Jan 22nd, 2015 09:12

Chrome door handles by any chance? Common problem. Ways to fix it? Buy a new handle or replace the lot with black plastic ones which look less Gok Wan and don't fall apart when it gets cold.

Its not a hard fix but you do need to have all the door card off to replace the handle.

V40owner Jan 22nd, 2015 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antz (Post 1832577)
Chrome door handles by any chance? Common problem. Ways to fix it? Buy a new handle or replace the lot with black plastic ones which look less Gok Wan and don't fall apart when it gets cold.

Its not a hard fix but you do ened to have all the door card off to replace the handle.

Its a chrome handle .
It pulls and springs back but simply doesnt open the door...was expecting better from swedish engineering lol

Antz Jan 22nd, 2015 11:27

Whip the doorcard off and see whats up. My guess is the metal rod that connects the handle to the door lock has come off at one end. Either by falling off or its snapped one of the attachments.

You should be able to see my removing the door card, peeling back the plastic and peering in with a torch.

Doorcard removal.
Two covered screws down outer edge.
One screw behind speaker cover
One covered screw above door pocket
One covered screw below mirror
One covered screw for the window switch and interior handle.
Then give it a good tug to remove all the clips at the bottom and lift it off at the top.

kieran40 Jan 22nd, 2015 12:05

I thought the chrome handles are better, maybe it's just a cosmetic thing then.

TEEKIZZLE Jan 22nd, 2015 12:40

Careful not to drop those screws into the door, pain to fish out.

V40owner Jan 22nd, 2015 12:42

Cheers for the advise guys
Ill give it a try tonight or tomorrow :)

baldmosher Jan 22nd, 2015 14:24

Mine snapped right at the back of the handle the other day, where it connects to the curved lever part that sits inside the handle and pulls out to unlock the latch.

I can get my finger in behind the handle, and pull the (slightly sharp) broken lever edge outwards. It doesn't take much effort to pull it, as long as you can get a finger on it. It's harder to get purchase on the lever in the rain, as it's slippy, but still doable.

I'm living with mine for now until it gets warmer (or I get fed up of doing it). I am going to try carefully using Araldite to glue them together, when it gets warmer outside, but I don't think it'll work, as the handle does bend & rotate slightly in the mounting as you pull it outwards. First time the door is frosted shut and I accidentally yank the handle, it'll just snap the glue again.

Removing the handle to glue it might work better as you can be more liberal with the gunk. On the car you risk sticking it to the housing and it'll never move again.....

Gatos suggested screwing carefully through the handle into the latch, that's one option, but it'll look rubbish.

Antz Jan 22nd, 2015 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldmosher (Post 1832766)
Mine snapped right at the back of the handle the other day, where it connects to the curved lever part that sits inside the handle and pulls out to unlock the latch.

I can get my finger in behind the handle, and pull the (slightly sharp) broken lever edge outwards. It doesn't take much effort to pull it, as long as you can get a finger on it. It's harder to get purchase on the lever in the rain, as it's slippy, but still doable.

I'm living with mine for now until it gets warmer (or I get fed up of doing it). I am going to try carefully using Araldite to glue them together, when it gets warmer outside, but I don't think it'll work, as the handle does bend & rotate slightly in the mounting as you pull it outwards. First time the door is frosted shut and I accidentally yank the handle, it'll just snap the glue again.

Removing the handle to glue it might work better as you can be more liberal with the gunk. On the car you risk sticking it to the housing and it'll never move again.....

Gatos suggested screwing carefully through the handle into the latch, that's one option, but it'll look rubbish.

Don't waste your time with araldite. It'll snap the first time you use the handle.

If you don't want to replace the handle, get your man at the garage to whack a screw through it. It works and I've seen it done but it does look **** and gives a nice sharp edge on the handle face.

baldmosher Jan 22nd, 2015 16:19

New handle it is then.