Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70 Brake Size / Upgrade (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291930)

Teilo1979 Feb 18th, 2019 12:23

V70 Brake Size / Upgrade

Hi,

My v70 has the 316mm disc setup and as they need replaced I'd like to
upgrade rather than just replace. the largest available standard fit for a V70 is 336mm (I'm happy to be corrected)

does anyone know if, like the earlier models, the carriers from the larger size is all that is needed to allow larger discs to be fitted or is it the whole caliper?

Any input appreciated.

thanks.

cheshired5 Feb 18th, 2019 12:43

Certainly on P2/XC90, the 316mm caliper is the same for a 336mm disc and needs only a different carrier to accommodate the larger disc size. Pads are the same also.
Much like how the 286 and 305mm discs used the same pads and caliper but with different carriers.

I don't know if you'd need longer flexible hoses though.

Peter86 Feb 18th, 2019 16:12

Do you think you would benefit from the larger brake set up? Maybe on the track or towing you may see some difference. Volvo brake systems always seem to be good. I think you would be better buying some new disks and pads and some wider wheels if possible.
I have 316mm disks on my Rdesign and the car stops very quickly and is is very good when towing also.

I-S Feb 18th, 2019 16:20

Like Peter86, I never found the 316 setup on the V70 to be short on power on the road.

Yet my lexus, of similar kerb weight, has a full-on 356mm floating disc with 4-pot caliper setup.... not entirely sure why.

Josh Wyatt Feb 18th, 2019 17:52

I have a ‘12’ S80 D5 Authorities, it has the 336mm and pads with wear sensors, it stops much quicker, and has a constant fade free feeling compared to a 316mm I’ve driven. Never quite a fair test, as it’s difficult to compare two vehicles without knowing when pads/discs last replaced and whether with original parts or not! Mine are Volvo original, with 10k usage.

I wouldn’t say it’s a total night and day change, but they are better!

If you weren’t in Scotland (I’m Oxford) I’d say drive mine and see what it feels like.

Billggski Feb 18th, 2019 18:17

You need to make sure the wheels are big enough to accommodate the bigger discs and calipers.

Teilo1979 Feb 18th, 2019 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter86 (Post 2496779)
Do you think you would benefit from the larger brake set up? Maybe on the track or towing you may see some difference. Volvo brake systems always seem to be good. I think you would be better buying some new disks and pads and some wider wheels if possible.
I have 316mm disks on my Rdesign and the car stops very quickly and is is very good when towing also.

I think generally anyone would benefit from better brakes:regular_smile:. It’s the Rdesign I have as well. And I’d be lying if the thought of filling the inside the 18” wheels was not one of the reasons for the upgrade. I do tow my caravan several times a year with a loaded car and on Scottish B roads there is a fair amount braking (awaits comments of adjusting my driving style and reading the road better) If the cost to upgrade is marginal over a direct replacement, it seems sensible to “go big or go home”

Terry.

Teilo1979 Feb 18th, 2019 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billggski (Post 2496830)
You need to make sure the wheels are big enough to accommodate the bigger discs and calipers.

Yes, 18” standard fit Rdesign already on..

Terry

Peter86 Feb 18th, 2019 23:42

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6565

Just an interesting read I found, testing braking on different sized brake disks. There's a table at the bottom comparing.

projectmayhem Feb 18th, 2019 23:57

Yeh, I have the D3 R-Design and thought it was bit slow to stop. That being said am used to a much smaller car so am still getting used to the best way to drive the V70.

Do feel there is a bit of fade in mine when am going somewhere on B roads in a hurry. Havnt checked what sort of wear are on the pads etc.

Interested to hear if you go for the bigger ones if its a big difference.