Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Picked it up (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290606)

slowprop Jan 13th, 2019 19:12

Picked it up

Well I picked up my 1996 2.3L estate GLE auto LPT today. Drove it back from Norwich to my home in Dartford. It didn't miss a beat. Very smooth through the gears no rattles or knocks. Engine lovely and what a pleasure it was.

However if I put it into full lock I'm getting a squealing noise. Steers absolutely fine apart from that. I am thinking it's probably the belt on the power steering ?

Any thoughts please.

360beast Jan 13th, 2019 19:17

The power steering belt might be a bit loose and will need adjusting.

Mine is too tight (it's a long story) and does it when steering at low speeds.

Laird Scooby Jan 13th, 2019 19:25

Like Luke said, the chances are the belt on the PAS is a bit loose. On full lock you are using all the available pressure from the pump so loading it up more, hence the belt only slipping/squealing like a pig when it's on full lock. ;) :D

jor Jan 13th, 2019 19:49

Mine will also do this, accompanied by a slight judder... The fluid probably had never been changed in 20 odd years, so I got one of those power steering fluids, emptied as much as I could, refilled, drove round for a bit and repeated.
Still not perfect, but improved....

jor

griston64 Jan 13th, 2019 20:07

Welcome to the 940 fold :teeth_smile: I just changed both belts as mine was also squealing quite badly. Now as quite as a mouse ! Both my belts were pretty shot so worth changing for all they cost.

Lets see some pics of the new motor

slowprop Jan 13th, 2019 20:11

Right guys. Thanks a lot. This seems like quite a common issue then. I will.have a look at it this week I am expecting a few niggles to sort but overall I'm really happy with it so far. I'm finding it quite refreshing to not have a car with infotainment systems and other technology I just don't need. My 15 year old isn't quite as impressed though

slowprop Jan 13th, 2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2484641)
Welcome to the 940 fold :teeth_smile: I just changed both belts as mine was also squealing quite badly. Now as quite as a mouse ! Both my belts were pretty shot so worth changing for all they cost.

Lets see some pics of the new motor

Yep I will try to put a few pictures up soon.

griston64 Jan 13th, 2019 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowprop (Post 2484644)
Right guys. Thanks a lot. This seems like quite a common issue then. I will.have a look at it this week I am expecting a few niggles to sort but overall I'm really happy with it so far. I'm finding it quite refreshing to not have a car with infotainment systems and other technology I just don't need. My 15 year old isn't quite as impressed though

Likewise with my youngest who is also 15. Think he is warming to her charms now though :teeth_smile: It's good for taking them all to football as well. They had to put up with being squashed into the wife's fabia as I wouldn't let them in my newer car :teeth_smile:

jonnyf90 Jan 13th, 2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowprop (Post 2484644)

Fit an MBC and up the boost to 12psi. Your 15 year old will like it a lot more after :D

Cheers

slowprop Jan 13th, 2019 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyf90 (Post 2484669)
Fit an MBC and up the boost to 12psi. Your 15 year old will like it a lot more after :D

Cheers

Maybe I will in time. Little steps.