Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Should I go with winter tyres even though it won't snow?? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275738)

prc68 Dec 5th, 2017 14:05

Should I go with winter tyres even though it won't snow??

As of the last week or so, have notices the car not handling as it used to during early morning /late evening. Thinking this might be due unusual extreme cold this past week (extreme = daytime around 10ºC nights <2ºC).
Looking for opinions, if it's worth going with a smaller "winter weather" tyre/wheels with rubber that actually works in colder weather even though it doesn't snow here.

Thanks

tt82 Dec 5th, 2017 14:25

Winter tyres are more effective in all conditions at temperatures below 7 degrees C. They are not as is commonly mistaken, just for snow. So yes, regardless of how much snow you get, they will be a benefit. The easiest way to do it is to have a second set of rims fitted with winter tyres, then you can follow the recommendations of having thinner larger profile tyres, but it is perfectly ok to use a single set of rims, swapping over the same size tyres as your summers are.

prc68 Dec 5th, 2017 14:36

I would rather go for something smaller. Even though the initial outlay is more, the practicality of 2 separate sets of wheels with cheaper/smaller tyres is a plus. Besides winter is also major pothole season.

NigelDay Dec 5th, 2017 15:00

You could go for all-season tyres. These are almost as good as winters, but wear better in summer temperatures. Goodyear, Michelin and Nokian are the market leaders.

owyn Dec 5th, 2017 18:36

I remember back when I was racing push bikes full time and doing lots of riding I would always have a few crashes at this time of year, the salty and slimy roads always did for me until I got into bringing my speed down a notch or two.

I've had winter tyres on the car for the last 3 or 4 winters now, using my calibrated ass I can tell a little difference in performance vs a summer tyre but the performance difference is masked a bit by the winters increased noise and wobbliness. Whichever way you slice it, neither tyre performs anything like a summer tyre on dry, clean tarmac. They are a total revelation on snow though.

When I wear this set out I'm not sure I'll be replacing them, the performance difference just isn't worth the extra hassle.

wimorrison Dec 5th, 2017 19:03

The difference isn’t about performance, it is about the safety that a winter tyre gives in low temperatures.

owyn Dec 5th, 2017 19:08

Performance as in how a tyre performs, accelerate, brake provide lateral grip.
As well as slightly more nebulus stuff, how does it feel to drive on, how noisy is it, how comfy is it, the squirminess factor.

I was referring to all the above.

Ryan69 Dec 5th, 2017 19:51

Having lived north of any sunshine for years never actually had winter boots on the motors never needed them even the odd time we get the odd foot of snow just got on with it.

domhart10 Dec 7th, 2017 14:58

Definitely worth getting smaller wheels for winter (Cheaper, softer ride)

I run 18s with wider tires in the summer and 17s with normal tire size (as volvo wheels are generally quite skinny)

As mentioned winter tires are fine on roads and are better than the normal tire any lower then 7c.

definitely recommend pirelli sottozero for grip and performance as well as them being very quite :thumbs_up:

civilservant Dec 7th, 2017 15:06

Are you based in Portugal?

How cold does it get down there in the winter?