Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Overdrive on Polestar optimization (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290775)

jonnyu Jan 18th, 2019 10:24

Overdrive on Polestar optimization

Does anyone has an info about the new Overdrive option in the Polestar optimization for the XC60 annouced this year 2019?

Apparently the polestar optimization for the 2019 D5 engine increses the power from 235 hp to 240 hp, and the torque from 480 Nm to 500 Nm.

With the Overboost option, the optimization will reach the 255 hp and 520 Nm.

Does anyone know more details about this?

MaDProFF Jan 18th, 2019 10:31

I not read anything about it, but sounds a con to get more money out of you on Polestars behalf, why not just boost it to the overdrive figures.

Also I wonder if Volvo are on purposely really de-tuning OEM cars to get Polestar sales, when they could have tuned the basic car higher in the first place.

SimNugget Jan 18th, 2019 11:15

Overboost or overdrive?

I have overboost on my M2 - gives a bit more turbo boost pressure for around 20 secs when the pedal is flat to the floor. In reality it is a safety mechanism so the engine doesn’t run too long at that higher boost level. They’ve just named it overboost to make it sound good.

Thought overdrive used to be like a 5th gear on old manual cars.

S

weemark Jan 18th, 2019 13:38

1 Attachment(s)
Kind of - here's an explanation .... ah those were the days :Not_Impressed:

With the early development of cars and the almost universal rear-wheel drive layout, the final drive (i.e. rear axle) ratio for fast cars was chosen to give the ratio for maximum speed. The gearbox was designed so that, for efficiency, the fastest ratio would be a "direct-drive" or "straight-through" 1:1 ratio, avoiding frictional losses in the gears. Achieving an overdriven ratio for cruising thus required a gearbox ratio even higher than this, i.e. the gearbox output shaft rotating faster than the engine. The propeller shaft linking gearbox and rear axle is thus overdriven, and a transmission capable of doing this became termed an "overdrive" transmission

The device for achieving an overdrive transmission was usually a small separate gearbox, attached to the rear of the main gearbox and controlled by its own shift lever. These were often optional on some models of the same car

And this pic of a Dolly Sprint shows the switch

jonnyu Jan 18th, 2019 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimNugget (Post 2486155)
Overboost or overdrive?

I have overboost on my M2 - gives a bit more turbo boost pressure for around 20 secs when the pedal is flat to the floor. In reality it is a safety mechanism so the engine doesn’t run too long at that higher boost level. They’ve just named it overboost to make it sound good.

Thought overdrive used to be like a 5th gear on old manual cars.

S

Yes, you are right, i mixed the terms. It's overboost

Quacker Jan 18th, 2019 15:21

This actually does add some value to Polestar. It is a meaningful, albeit probably short duration increase in power and torque that should be really noticeable. Especially useful for overtaking uphill I'd have thought.

One hopes that it will be a free upgrade for existing Polestar users. :tongwink:

VOLVOL0VER Jan 18th, 2019 15:49

I wish polestar remap for D4 was slightly powerful with also overboost. At least minimum of 210hp and 460 NM of torque. Real remap of 10hp and 40 NM for d4 it's so insignificant.

Gossyjamin Jan 19th, 2019 10:33

Take delivery of our xc60 t5 in March for the new plate and have opted for polestar, have they changed anything’s for 2019 :confused_smile:
Thanks in advance

steadvex Jan 19th, 2019 11:53

If this gets added to older car that already have polestar software its good in my eyes

I mean, if you goto a dealer, get your service, then get told as you've had polestar before you've now got some extra power. Well I would be happy anyway!

roundyuk Jan 19th, 2019 14:21

Although the pure BHP increase on the D4 is not huge for the Polestar, I believe it’s not just power output changes; gearbox, driving dynamic etc. all get a tweak.

Would love to hear from someone who had their D4 for a period without and then had it added.